Chevy SS Forum banner

Some Carbon Fiber for the interior

21K views 59 replies 29 participants last post by  jonkr15 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, not really Carbon Fiber....... 3M faux Carbon fiber wrap. The chrome/brushed aluminum pieces would blind me if the sun hit them at the right angle as others have also complained about. I had originally thought about wrapping them with matte black vinyl, but I did a test piece and it just didn't look right. So I went the route of wrapping them in 3m CarbonFiber Wrap. I bought. 12" X 60" piece off of a vendor in Amazon. I pulled all of the panels out of the car and carefully (with the help of my trusty heat gun) went at it. I turned out better than expected. The wrap laid down without a single wrinkle, crease, or air bubble. (Sorry for only posting 1 pic per reply. My iPhone, won't let me post multiple pics in a single reply). Here are some photos of the project. I didn't go overboard, I just did the aluminum looking pieces, leaving the small chrome trim. I also did the top of the shifter, which turned out really nice as well.

Attachments

See less See more
#42 ·
Really awesome. Nice work. Not sure if I have the patience to attempt this but I am going to have to do something to curb the glare.......

#44 · (Edited)
Ordered the matte black 3M dinoc carbon fiber to give this a try. Will post pics if it turns out nice.

Also curious about the chrome seat inserts. Any way to remove those?

Edit: found a few threads on the inserts. Looks like you can either pull them out or just wrap them while installed. I'll try while they're installed so I don't break the clips.

#45 ·
From the pics in the other thread it looks like they should pop out if you push them in and then push sideways. I tried gently tonight but got nowhere. I'm also gun-shy about breaking one.

If I break one and go to the dealer to claim a defect, think they'll swap it under warranty? (I'd use the grin emoji but quick reply doesn't let you?)

#53 ·
I had a guy wrap the center console piece on my Passat, and it did not come out that great. Moreover, after a while in the sun, it began to peel up. Perhaps it was a cheaper grade or the manner in which it was applied. Your results look fantastic.

#55 ·
We'll see how it holds up over time. The 3M vinyl seems pretty heavy duty. I also used the 3M 94 primer which seems to make it stick really well. Luckily my car is garaged at home and work so it doesn't spend much time sitting out in the sun.

I'm mostly worried about some of the corners where the vinyl is stretched tighter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.