Chevy SS Forum banner

Disable Dual Mode Exhaust - Remain Quiet?

12K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  PRLx1967 
#1 ·
Anyone know if its possible to disable the dual mode exhaust to where it would stay quiet? There are times I want Performance Mode suspension with Quiet Exhaust.

#3 ·
Nope. Pulling the fuse opens the bypass, regardless of what the MRC setting may be at the time.

What the OP is asking for is nigh impossible. Wiring the butterfly closed would likely damage the stepper motor that controls them. Building a custom PWM controller that mimics the factory signals is possible, but many lack the talent.

#6 · (Edited)
I think he's really asking for full control of the exhaust, apart from the rest of the mode settings. It's been tried before but I don't recall that anyone's been able to do it...more complicated than just controlling power to the flap actuators with an on-off switch for some reason.

This thread may help -

http://www.ssforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89234

#9 ·
This still doesn't seem to keep it closed. The only two modes are:

- Always open
- Vehicle controlled

So if the vehicle wanted the exhaust open there's no way to have it closed with this box. Although, based on their comment further down about Gen 6 Camaro and C7 Vette it may be possible? Just wouldn't count on it.

#22 ·
This might not be as hard as thought.

The information thus far tells us that without power to the exhaust flap motor, it is wide open. Looking up the tail pipe with engine off confirms this. Engine on in Tour mode, flap is 100% closed, Sport or Performance mode it is wide open.

My thought is that in Sport or Performance mode, the Exhaust motor simply doesn't get a signal and remains 100% open with zero voltage. If this is the case, closing the valve could be as simple as creating a secondary switched circuit that sends 12V to the motor and close the valve. All I need is a few wires, fuse, relay, and on/off switch. This should allow me to close the valve at will, even at startup before the car starts to be neighbor friendly at 5 AM.

#23 ·
First of all, those kooks headers make a difference. Both your cars sound awesome. Second, the 14-15 has a stock mid muffler and the 16 dies not. that apparently makes a difference. I think what you are showing here is that 14-15 stock mufflers are equivalent in loudness to 16's wide open. If so, that is interesting to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.