Twisted Dipstick got you down? GM Parts to the Rescue! - Chevy SS Forum
 86Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
rao

Twisted Dipstick got you down? GM Parts to the Rescue!

If you've checked the oil on your SS, you hate the dipstick, it's a PITA because it doesn't want to slide through the tube and it wants to fold itself in half every 1/4".

The original dipstick is part number 12634547 and you will find that it has been discontinued. Maybe someone came to their senses, maybe they were never intended to be offered as a replacement part, who knows? From what I can tell the part has been superseded by part number 12669528, which is listed as "Universal LS3 Oil Level Indicator"

I decided that I had enough and I bought a replacement. Under $20 delivered and it is a cable style dipstick.

The oil level dots match up perfectly and it goes into the tube and comes out much better.

Here are the pics:

The part number you need is 12669528:

The original twisted dipstick compared to the replacement dipstick:

The level indicators compared side to side:

For you nervous types out there please note that making this change might void your warranty, harm your credit rating, ruin your relationship with your spouse, subject you to IRS audit, etc., so if you are concerned about any of those things or the dozens (or possibly more!) of other bad things that could happen to you or someone else as a result of this change, DON'T DO IT and please don't tell my about it

For everyone else, enjoy
hdt176, KenzSS, paco04 and 30 others like this.

Rob
2017 6mt
Prior - 2015 6MT
Too many LS swaps to list
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by rao; 01-28-2017 at 05:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 02:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rao View Post
If you've checked the oil on your SS, you hate the dipstick, it's a PITA because it doesn't want to slide through the tube and it wants to fold itself in half every 1/4".

The original dipstick is part number 12634547 and you will find that it has been discontinued. Maybe someone came to their senses, maybe they were never intended to be offered as a replacement part, who knows? From what I can tell the part has been superceded by part number 12669528, which is listed as "Universal LS3 Oil Level Indicator"

I decided that I had enough and I bought a replacement. Under $20 delivered and it is the more modern cable style.

The oil level dots match up perfectly and it goes into the tube and comes out much better.

Here are the pics:

The part number you need is 12669528:

The original twisted dipstick compared to the replacement dipstick:

The level indicators compared side to side:

For you nervous types out there please note that making this change might void your warranty, harm your credit rating, ruin your relationship with your spouse, subject you to IRS audit, etc., so if you are concerned about any of those things or the dozens (or possible more!) of other bad things that could happen to you or someone else as a result of this change, DON'T DO IT and please don't tell my about it

For everyone else, enjoy
Great find!

Let slip the horsepower of war
Serenade your enemies with its battle cry
And they shall be driven from your presence
They will find no comfort in the lamentations of their women
There will be much weeping and gnashing of teeth
-Holden 3:16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 | Phantom Black Metallic | Automatic | Sun Roof | Spare
3,222nd SS built | 787 out of 848 as optioned.
post #3 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 02:57 PM

Great find and pics. Ordered 1, Thank you!

2015 A6@9psig

post #4 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 02:57 PM

Providing valuable information and having a sense of humor. How dare you Sir!

Thanks for the great find!
rao likes this.
post #5 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 04:26 PM

Might have to get 2, one for the SS and one for the GXP.
hdt176 and IHVOCD like this.

Want to be on the Owners Map?

Links to Owners Roll Call and Owners Map:

2014 Chevy SS, Mystic Green, roof, spare. #21 of 3527, 1 of 144 in MG, #2 of 60 as optioned (sold)

2016 Chevy SS, Mystic Green, roof, spare. #555 of 2221, 1 of 76 in Mystic Green, #9 of 18 as optioned

2009 Pontiac G8 GXP, MSM, 6M. #715 of 1829.

post #6 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingtoseehere View Post
Great find and pics. Ordered 1, Thank you!
X2!
gtrplr2 likes this.

'16 SLIHRM Auto/Roof/Spare | #1,584 of 2,221 (#66 of 85, as optioned)
'07 Suburban 1500 LTZ 6.0L
'98 XJ on 35s, 4.0L/AW4
'77 Stretched CJ5 on 38.5s, 455 Olds/700R4
post #7 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 05:29 PM

Garage
got mine last summer!

2015 Phantom Black Chevy SS with Holden conversion LSA supercharged @10 psi,ID 850 injectors,Livernois Valve springs,7.425 pushrods,LS9 cam,SW 1 7/8 LT headers and off road x-pipe Livernois tuned 596RWHP. with many extras. Working 2016 Bi-Mode exhaust mufflers.
2016 Jungle Green Chevy SS stock for now.
post #8 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 07:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tharding View Post
got mine last summer!
And didn't tell anyone. Your Bad
post #9 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 08:44 PM

Very nice. I almost could not get it back in when i first checked the oil. Thought i was going to break it. This is a must buy

Thanks for the info
JJay03 likes this.
post #10 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Thanks Rob, ordered. I checked about a year or so ago when my rivets started to loosen up on the stock 2 piece POS and nothing was available. I considered a custom piece, but they were a bit pricey and I didn't want to explain to the wife I was headed out to the garage to measure my dipstick...

Perfect Blue Metallic, 6M, Roto-Fab CAI, fuse relay, radiator and engine covers, S & B Blue Power Stack filter, Weathertechs, 35% tint, ClearShield Pro, Lloyd SS trunk mat, 1080P HD dashcam, Solo Performance axle back exhaust, Maverick Man strut tower caps, billet SS abs cover, Granatelli Motorsports electronic exhaust cutouts, BMR components, MGW short throw shifter
#2564 of 3168 for 2015, 1 of 273 PBM SS's ever produced, 1 of 77 in PBM with Tremec TR6060, #38 of 44 PBM as optioned

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page