Rear Main Seal fail (+ took heed to CB's & others' earlier remarks) - Chevy SS Forum
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By nothanks
  • 2 Post By GXPaycheck
  • 2 Post By geraldchristie6
  • 1 Post By spd98

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Rear Main Seal fail (+ took heed to CB's & others' earlier remarks)

Background: Early November, in California, the OLM lit. Did a JIFFY LUBE (I provided a PF48E). Specifically asked the 'man-in-the-pit', "Any leaks?". "No, sir; all nice and dry underneath." Mileage then in the 30,xxx range (don't have receipt handy). Next was x-country drive from CA to Sarasota FL area for Thanksgiving week on a beach and then home. Was about mid December (and close to ~4,000 more miles since told " ... all dry underneath") that I realized that it was the SS leaving oil spots on the driveway blacktop. Looked in the garage and large 'wet' oil stain seen. I then looked underneath. The oil filter area was totally dry, but a drop of oil was seen at that time hanging from the small (drain?) hole at bottom of housing that mounts the tranny to the engine. Further back from that point the surfaces are very wet with a dirty oil film that spreads out and has collected fine road particles. A dealer service appointment was made for Monday, 09 Jan.

Currently: SS at the dealer this AM for the repair + seat belt recall. No worries if they take pictures of the stock motor. Loaner car is a '16 white Malibu w/1400mi. I'd just returned home in the garage and wife open the interior door and, "I thought you were to leave your car at the dealer.?" "No, dear, this is a Malibu; not the SS."
z51vett likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Photo theme: Red, White & Blue - USA & Aussie too

2014 Heron White Chev SS; sunroof; spareR.I.P. 01/17/2017
2009 Pacific Slate Metallic Pontiac G8 GXP w/LS9 SC performance additions & JHP interior mods
2009 G8GT Firehawk #19 (wish it were mine; was friend's car)

Last edited by nothanks; 01-09-2017 at 08:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 05:43 PM

Garage
Smart move swapping parts. Nothing you installed would cause this, but it's better to be safe than sorry. One hour of work vs. a train load of B.S.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 05:48 PM

As long as the dealer doesn't read these forums.
SilverSport and Eric SS like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Want to be on the Owners Map?

Links to Owners Roll Call and Owners Map:

2014 Chevy SS, Mystic Green, roof, spare. #21 of 3527, 1 of 144 in MG, #2 of 60 as optioned (sold)

2016 Chevy SS, Mystic Green, roof, spare. #555 of 2221, 1 of 76 in Mystic Green, #9 of 18 as optioned

2009 Pontiac G8 GXP, MSM, 6M. #715 of 1829.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 07:37 PM

I hope you also removed engine cover.
They can fingerprint any deny coverage...
I would be relieved that nothing you did caused it.
PFWiz and SilverSport like this.

GERALDCHRISTIE6
BORN 10/30/14 #153 BUILT, #13 0F 277
2015 HERON WHITE/SUNROOF/FULL SIZE SPARE

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:50 AM

"Rear main seal" area leaks are not unusual on LS engines at all. There have been TSB's on them all the way back the LS1 iirc. It is often actually not the seal itself in most cases it's the cover, there is long standing block porosity issue there.
holler likes this.

Last edited by spd98; 01-11-2017 at 02:28 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

OK, chapter 2: Guess never realized 'til now that I must be a retard that's blind in one eye and can't see out the other. It's day 3, mid-morning (Jan 11) and hadn't heard anything. I called the service writer. Am told on the phone " we determined the oil leak was a loose oil filter. We tightened it and cleaned off the oil stains." When I replied that i'd been under the car and had observed the oil filter, its seal and surfaces aft of the filter to the end of the oil pan were dry. I get his reply, "you probably didn't know where the filter was" and begins to describe its location "in a recess on the the side of oil pan, etc." "Yes", I reply, "Just like it is on the LS3 motor my 09 Pontiac G8 GXP."

Seeing were heading down a dead end road, I changed the subject, asking status of the seat belt recall work. They'd just started it and would have the new seat belt installation done by early afternoon. SS is back home.

To continue ......

Photo theme: Red, White & Blue - USA & Aussie too

2014 Heron White Chev SS; sunroof; spareR.I.P. 01/17/2017
2009 Pacific Slate Metallic Pontiac G8 GXP w/LS9 SC performance additions & JHP interior mods
2009 G8GT Firehawk #19 (wish it were mine; was friend's car)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 06:21 PM

Garage
Well, I guess be glad they didn't have to drop the tranny. I must say when I changed my oil on my SS a while ago, the old filter was a PITA to get off. I put the new Mobil1 on but couldn't get a good turn on it so I actually had to use to ratchet with oil filter cup to tighten it down enough.

The DD: 2006 Honda Civic LX (modded)
The Wife's car: 2012 Mazda CX-9
The Heavy Hauler: 2005 Silverado Ext Cab (modded)
The Toy: 2015 Mystic Green SS, 6spd, sunroof, full spare, Roto-fab intake, VMAX TB, Livernois 93 octane tune
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:24 PM

Garage
I had a rear main seal leak

//Nick

2014 - PBM, Roof, Auto, #131 of 3,527, 44 of 809, Born: 08/18/2013
2015 - HW, M6, Spare, #1,395 of 3,168, 2 of 12, Born: 01/29/2015
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:43 PM

Garage
Asshats were probably too lazy to take the tranny out. Thinking they might get lucky by tightening the filter. If you come back, then they figure they might have to get their hands dirty.

Give them a scathing survey after you get your car and take it somewhere else if the problem returns.

If some Service Advisor told me I didn't know where the oil filter was I'd be there in 10 minutes to take my car back.

'16 RHII 6M Sunroof + Spare

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page