Rockford Fosgate P300-10 Powered Subwoofer - Chevy SS Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 03:59 AM Thread Starter

Rockford Fosgate P300-10 Powered Subwoofer

I wanted to add more bass to the stock Bose system, so I looked into getting a Rockford Fosgate powered sub.

The SS has become the primary family car for most things, including of course the weekly family trip to the supermarket that results in a trunk full of groceries. Wow how priorities change when you have a family! So anyway, maintaining a sizable amount of trunk space was an important consideration for me.

The 12 inch was test fit first, but it took more trunk space than I was willing to give up. It was too tall to fit below the horizontal support at the back of the trunk so it left unused space behind it. It dominated one of the corners and seemed as though it took-up a quarter of the trunk space.

The 10 inch fits great. Not only is it a couple inches smaller in all dimensions than the 12; it can also sit further back in the trunk than the 12. It is just able to slide under the horizontal support at the back of the trunk so the sloped rear of the enclosure can fit right up against the seatback.

The bass it produces exceeded my expectations, particularly for such a small unit. It can play louder than I care to listen to, and I'm sure it is loud enough to be an annoyance the drivers next to you, but not so loud that people can hear you coming from a block away. This is plenty for me. It is punchy, and able to reproduce the low notes that the stock system alone struggled to with. So overall, I'm very happy with this addition.

It comes with a remote level control. I figured it was important to keep it accessible up front, but didn't want to have it fixed to the dash. I like the clean lines of the interior so I didn't want the dash cluttered with an accessory. I settled to have it installed in the center console storage compartment. While not the most ergonomic location, it is accessible by both driver and front passenger when needed, and is out of sight.
05on20s likes this.

2016/PBM/A6/Spare - First of 25 - #172

Last edited by DARKWAV; 06-25-2016 at 12:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 04:05 AM Thread Starter

Here are pictures of the sub enclosure installed in the trunk of the SS:

MTdiehard and Drone like this.

post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 04:10 AM Thread Starter

Here are pictures of the remote level control installed in the center console storage compartment:

Last edited by DARKWAV; 06-25-2016 at 12:50 AM.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 04:55 AM

Nice!! I have an older version of yours that i might put in the car as well that i used in my volt.(Rockford Fosgate Punch Overload PS300-12 300-watt 12" powered subwoofer at Crutchfield.com) But i still might just move my bigger system over from the G8 since I have everything mounted on my ported box and it would give me an even bigger thump in the trunk hehe, we'll see.

2016 Chevy SS-Manual, Sunroof, Tirekit,Mystic Green
2009 Pontiac G8 GT - Kooks LT Headers, Intake, Exhaust, Trifecta tune, Lowered, HIDs--SOLD
2012 Chevy Volt Prem.-Stock
2014 GMC 2500HD Denali - Level Kit,Rims,and more appearance stuff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 06:28 AM

Garage
Did you wire the sub yourself or did a shop do it? If it was you where did you make the connections to the stock radio and or speakers. Power is easy battery is right there
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 12:53 PM

Does the subwoofer intrude into your pass through opening? And if so, by how much?
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistol_junior23 View Post
Nice!! I have an older version of yours that i might put in the car as well that i used in my volt.(Rockford Fosgate Punch Overload PS300-12 300-watt 12" powered subwoofer at Crutchfield.com) But i still might just move my bigger system over from the G8 since I have everything mounted on my ported box and it would give me an even bigger thump in the trunk hehe, we'll see.
This setup is very minimalist, and quite the departure from my previous car that had a pair of 12s in seperate sealed enclosures at the front corners of the trunk with an amp rack spanning the gap between them. Ironically, all this available space in the trunk that I have with this basic setup in the SS is what feels luxurious to me now...having kids really screwed with my head!

post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoez71 View Post
Did you wire the sub yourself or did a shop do it? If it was you where did you make the connections to the stock radio and or speakers. Power is easy battery is right there
This appears to be a good DIY candidate. However, I supported the local economy and had the shop do it! They were successful using the high level connection by tying into the left and right rear deck speakers (right at the speaker terminals) without the need for a standalone line converter. The shop co-owner commented that the 10 turned out to provide plenty of output for the SS.

I'm relieved that this system integrated as well as it did both physically and sonically into the Bose system without any complications or issues.
05on20s likes this.

post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 02:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKWAV View Post
This appears to be a good DIY candidate. However, I supported the local economy and had the shop do it! They were successful using the high level connection by tying into the left and right rear deck speakers (right at the speaker terminals) without the need for a standalone line converter. The shop co-owner commented that the 10 turned out to provide plenty of output for the SS.

I'm relieved that this system integrated as well as it did both physically and sonically into the Bose system without any complications or issues.
If you don't mind me asking, how much did it run you?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by red rider View Post
Does the subwoofer intrude into your pass through opening? And if so, by how much?
Yes, it blocks roughly 25% of the pass through opening as it sits. I'll measure and get you better numbers tonight.

This is secured with velcro, so it can be repositioned or unplugged and removed. But it is small enough that I don't really see having the need to do that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page