2014 Chevrolet SS vs. Dodge Charger SRT-8 - Page 3 - Chevy SS Forum

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2013, 08:00 PM   #21 (permalink)

I gotta say that the SRT8 front is ugly as sin. I mean...where is it exactly? It's just a huge hole...like they ran out of ideas and just said "screw it, people seem to like the EVOs". The back isn't mush better with the HUGE led strip. Doesn't help that every time I see one all I think is "cop car".

I used to get asked all the time about what I was driving when I had my G8 GT. Most people didn't know what it was unless they were into cars. And even then some of them asked if it was a G6 just to see my reaction. Out of all the cars I've owned it is the only one that I've actually had people yell at me on the freeway, follow me off the exit or stop short at a light to just ask what it was.

I can see people that don't know cars asking what the SS is or calling it a Malibu/Impala unless GM really pushes it. It really does need something to make it stand out from the Chevy lineup.
Kram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:45 PM   #22 (permalink)

I use to own a G8 GT until I bought my a Charger RT max. So I can tell you my personal experience with both cars. The G8 was more of a drives car. Nice road manners and predictable. However, it had it's share of issues but overall a nice car. The Charger is a retro style car with an aggressive look. Not for everyone but I like it. It is a much better angry cruiser then the G8. It is very quiet inside the cab, has loads of tech stuff and a decent motor with the hemi. To me the Charger is just a much more comfortable, livable car overall then G8.

On a side note, I don't like the bland styling of the new SS. Interior looks nice but the exterior is boring. I would buy a SRT8 with the upcoming 8 speed before considering an SS. JMO
PLAYHARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:45 PM   #23 (permalink)

I don't necessarily agree with you Playhard. I too have a 12 Dodge Charger RT (Road & Track) and previously owned a G8 GT. The Charger is definitely more of a cruiser, somewhat floaty, but with good performance. The G8 is more sports oriented, but the G8 was just as usable/livable as the Charger. The Charger feels and looks big, but it isn't really any bigger than the G8.

Personally, I'd take my G8 over my Charger, but the Charger definitely wins in terms of tech, no contest. However, one of my biggest issues with the Charger, is you can't turnoff the Traction Control. I hate that, guess I should have gotten an SRT8 (out of my price-point at the time)
GOTMYSS likes this.
- 08 Pontiac G8 GT "World Beater" - Stolen from the dealership while getting an oil change (yes, you read that right) - Vvme HID Conversion, LED Foglights, Custom Leather Armrest, Tinted, Corsa Catback Exhaust, Debadged, Plasti-dip rims and some other go-fast mods - GONE, BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN!

- 12 Dodge Charger RT Road & Track "The Revival"

What's Next: 2014 Chevrolet SS (Pending final pricing)
SuperSport79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:56 PM   #24 (permalink)

I'd take a SS over a Charger sorry. Not a huge fan of the Charger design. Not a huge fan of the whole bringing back an old school design idea.

If I wanted an old school design I'd just get the real thing. I love the mid 60s-70s era chargers.
brianch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:43 AM   #25 (permalink)

I have decided to pass on the Chevy SS and buy a Charger SRT8. Since Chevy announced that they were making the SS, I had planned to buy it, but the car continues to be a dissapointment. I don't think it will be able to run with a SRT8 and I think it will get worse fuel economy. I do prefer the interior of the SS, ex the touch screen. I have used the old MyLink system they are putting in the SS, and I think it is pretty bad. The new MyLink system is much better.
BlueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:56 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSS View Post
I have decided to pass on the Chevy SS and buy a Charger SRT8. Since Chevy announced that they were making the SS, I had planned to buy it, but the car continues to be a dissapointment. I don't think it will be able to run with a SRT8 and I think it will get worse fuel economy. I do prefer the interior of the SS, ex the touch screen. I have used the old MyLink system they are putting in the SS, and I think it is pretty bad. The new MyLink system is much better.
You might have made the right choice but when the SS comes out, if you can, DRIVE IT. I know I could never not drive it if the opportunity was their, always good to know what it's like.

How much was your SRT8 out the door?
\/Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:47 PM   #27 (permalink)

The SRT8 is going to be mid-40's. I like the look of it a lot and love the power. I haven't bought it yet, but it should be soon.
BlueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:03 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSS View Post
I find the Charger to be a beautiful car, I don't think you will be disappointed.
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:49 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypwr View Post
About time someone brought up the Charger's design. I absolutely hate the tail lights. i think it's great they did something different, cause you don't see tail lights like the Charger's on a lot of modern cars but it just kills the rear end IMO.

When lite up it looks even worst to me....

I am not a huge fan of the tail lights either, dodge calls theme the racetrack tail lights. It's on a few of their vehicles like the Dodge Dart. I like the previous generation's looks more. The only thing i liked about it is the roaring v8
Big Block Meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:54 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agose25 View Post
What does everyone think of the front end? I personally do like this aspect of the styling. Very aggressive and muscular. Reminds me of a Sting Ray or a Whale Shark a little bit.

As for the comparison to the G8 only cammed GTs and Bolt on GXPs can really hang with an SRT-8 Charger. They are fast and not to be taken lightly.

The rule of thumb stock is R/T < G8 GT < G8 GXP < SRT-8

I suspect the SS will fall in line relative to the GXP.
The front is very aggressive and the body is bold and muscular. I don't mind the look but the rear tail lights just don't do it for me.

I can't imagine if the SS look like that, the SS just has a classier look to it. Much more suitable for me.
CrusherSS is offline   Reply With Quote