Chevy SS Forum banner

Modified SS treats a Maserati Quattroporte --- RUDELY!

9K views 32 replies 23 participants last post by  jimster480 
#1 · (Edited)
Long story cut short:

Passed a 2016/2017 Quattroporte on I-10, west of San Antonio this past Saturday. He was blocking the 'fast' lane doing about 70mph and the right lane was blocked by a 65mph driver (speed limit = 75).

Passed the cars in the right lane, down-shifted to 5th gear and went briskly around the 'Maz' on a curve at about 80mph and engaged the cruise control. After a few seconds and I checked my side view mirror before changing lanes and, low and behold, the Mas is now keeping pace with me.

I give the SS a bit of gas reaching 90mpg....and the 'Maz' is now pulling on me. Sooooooooooooo..........................

I hit the gas, the "429" screams, the Borlas howl, and both cars are north of 130mph with me opening distance.

By the time I'm passing 150, the 'Maz' breaks off. As I coast down to 80mph, the 'Maz' maintains his distance and eventually dials back to the 70's as I leave him in the distance.
He....did....not....know....what....he....was....f^ckin' with! :devil
BTW....put a bit of a dent in my gas mileage for that tank full.:grin
KW

See less See more
#2 ·
It sounds like we have similar driving styles. I hate lane blockers, especially here in Tejas where the left lane is "for passing only" and marked as such. Wish these SOB could read signs. But amazing how after you pass one of these smucks, then of course they can keep up, or think they can. I've seen 145 mph in my stock 2017 and wonder what it'll do after Livernois gets done with it. I just hope to not have that proverbial meeting with a judge where you apologize profusely and write a BIG check. At least I'm bound to be older than the judge, or we were classmates.

#15 ·
.....I've seen 145 mph in my stock 2017 and wonder what it'll do after Livernois gets done with it......
I believe that our cars are governed, so unless the Livernois tune eliminates it.....

That being said, mine isn't governed....and I'm not sure I'll never (even on a HWY 'race') hit the very limits of the car.

That having been said, the gas powered Quattroportes (two different trims) have rated top speeds of 178mph and 194mph....and a turbo diesel that's slower (I know this one wasn't diesel). I think that if we'd stay on it, he would have eventually passed me.

But I think I surprised him by how quickly I pulled to 130+ mph....and he just said "f^ck it". :eek

KW

#3 ·
Long story cut short:

By the time I'm passing 150, the 'Maz' breaks off. As I coast down to 80mph,
KW
Must be nice driving around Mexico.
:devil

#5 ·
I love these feel good stories!

Reactions: KWBaraka
#6 ·
Long story cut short:

Passed a 2016/2017 Quattroporte on I-10, west of San Antonio this past Saturday. He was blocking the 'fast' lane doing about 70mph and the right lane was blocked by a 65mph driver (speed limit = 75).

Passed the cars in the right lane, down-shifted to 5th gear and went briskly around the 'Maz' on a curve at about 80mph and engaged the cruise control. After a few seconds and I checked my side view mirror before changing lanes and, low and behold, the Mas is now keeping pace with me.

I give the SS a bit of gas reaching 90mpg....and the 'Maz' is now pulling on me. Sooooooooooooo..........................

I hit the gas, the "429" screams, the Borlas howl, and both cars are north of 130mph with me opening distance.

By the time I'm passing 150, the 'Maz' breaks off. As I coast down to 80mph, the 'Maz' maintains his distance and eventually dials back to the 70's as I leave him in the distance.
He....did....not....know....what....he....was....f^ckin' with! :devil
BTW....put a bit of a dent in my gas mileage for that tank full.:grin
KW
The bolded part is by far the most impressive part of your story. You must teach me your ways.

#7 ·
Reactions: KWBaraka
#11 · (Edited)
Recently, I sat in the Alfa Romeo Giulia, and it's too small for me. However, I love the engine start button on the steering wheel. It's convenient and positioned in a very ergonomic manner.

#14 ·
Passing lane is the right lane here in Nevada. You should see it...

My father only gave me two tips when I was learning to drive:

1. Drive a steady speed.
2. Watch out for the other guy.

Do those two things and you'll be ok.

He's the only person (besides myself) on this earth that I trusted behind the wheel.

#19 ·
On I-10, the right lane is for passing. The left lane lemmings impede proper driving etiquette.

Reactions: NativH
#20 ·
Oh, we have those in Maryland too. I refer to them as LLHs (left lane hogs). Most are busy talking on their hands free phone as evidenced by occasional hand jestures. I guess they don't have to hit the brakes often that way. They just travel 5 mph below the speed limit and all they have to do is keep it in the lane. Nobody else really matters to them. They easily ignore the dozens of flip offs. Not that they bother me or anything.
:serious

#22 ·
I was motoring east of San Antonio on I-10 a few weeks ago. 75mph speed limit. Trucks in the right lane doing 75. A-HOLE in the left lane doing 75.5. Nothing but open road in front of him. Me behind the A-HOLE.

A-HOLE hits a board, it goes airborne and hits my SS on the lower left front end. Looked to be a 4x4 maybe 2' long. It hit pretty dam hard and I was expecting a mess when I pulled off to inspect. Damage was limited to a scuff and a deep scratch about 6" long. Also knocked a sensor loose. Got lucky. I was thinking it may have gotten into the radiator/condenser. That's why I pulled off instead of performing a choke a b!tch on the A-HOLE.

Reactions: 14SS#4446
#24 ·
JoshB0718 (photo above ^)

Washington state law: It is a parking infraction, with a fine of $450, for a person to block the access aisle located next to an accessible parking space.

"A person may receive a parking permit if they have a disability that limits or impairs the ability to walk or involves acute sensitivity to light."
Acute sensitivity to light also effects window tinting laws: "A greater degree of light reduction is permitted on all windows and the top six inches of windshields of a vehicle operated by or carrying as a passenger a person who possesses a written verification from a licensed physician that the operator or passenger must be protected from exposure to sunlight for physical or medical reasons."

It is the "acute sensitivity to light" provision of the law that keeps me from emotionally boiling over when observing an apparently agile ambulatory single person parking in disability spaces.
Unless you walk a mile in their shoes ...

#28 ·
Pretty cool story. Ultimately that is the goal of every sleeper build. Surprise the heck out of people in their flashy rides.

Also, the guys who hang out in the passing lane impeding traffic are finally getting noticed. Looks like Nevada has a new law to help them realize their mistake.

http://www.kolotv.com/content/news/New-left-lane-law-425825994.html

I'm not one for new laws but this is sorely needed. The civil engineering premise of the multi-lane highway is for traffic of differing speeds to pass one another. That can only happen with an open passing lane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#31 ·
It's about time they start looking at trying to solve the root of the problem other than the results. If you can discourage people from driving in the manner that creates road rage, that would be great. Unfortunately these types of laws don't seem to be enforced nearly as much as speeders.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#30 · (Edited)
I'd like to see someone wait outside for them to come out & pull a Kathy Bates from misery on them so they have a reason to park there.

Reactions: Drone
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.