ATS-V vs SS - both in M6 - Chevy SS Forum
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

ATS-V vs SS - both in M6

So I am considering getting a very low miles 2016 loaded ATS-V 4 door M6 for low $50s... I don't see any advantage the 2017 SS has other than maybe $8K in savings. Here's my writeup below.

I have been wanting a newer RWD(or RWD biased) 4 door stick shift car that's pretty fast. That pretty much limits me to a few cars. I tried the Focus RS but sold it - too many quirks for me and it's more FWD biased, though definitely a ton of fun. The others are the SS, 340i, M3, M5, a used older CTS-V and the Cadillac ATS-V. Remember I said fast so that excludes the lower end Audis. The RS and SS are the slowest of the bunch, though the RS can get tuned up to near 400whp and dip into the 11s in a 1/4 mile, but for now I am not going to worry about that.

So...the ATS-V has an MSRP that is about $60K and shooting to the high 70s. I've found more than one 4 door with MSRPs in those high 70s and all the options I want for the low $50s... Yeah, $52-$53K for cars that have under 3000 miles. AFAIK these are not buybacks nor have any issues. In fact there are a lot of ATS-Vs in the 50s. This car apparently depreciates a lot after initial sale. Bad if you buy one new. Good if you buy used. Also the warranty is 4yrs so if bought today it still has the same amount of coverage left as a new SS...

The ATS-V is really fast. The auto is faster of course, hitting 50 in under 4 seconds and 1/4 ~12.1@122 but the manual holds its own - 4.2/12.5 @117. I enjoyed the test drive. I pushed it hard. The car is a real performer, and I own a GT-R. The ATS-V is legit. Oh and just a tune will net you close to 75 wheel horsepower should you choose to do so.

Those other cars on the list? I don't trust BMW - unreliable cars, but if the new M# is anything like the V8 M3 I test drove a few years ago...yes! So much fun. I hear the new one is better. But...quality issues and more importantly price. They are well into the 60s used.

Oh I have concerns about Cadillac having quality issues too. Also the interior is meh. I hate there being no knobs, but everything is sort of touch sensitive. You can slide your finger for volume and more. It isn't great but it works. It does have Android Auto support though!

So that's my thought on all this. Curious what others think...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 12:10 PM

Garage
I too had the same conundrum between used ATS-V/CTS-V/M3 or a new 340i. The caddies were too expensive (even used) and I didn't want the extra worry of forced induction issues down the road. The used M3 was just worrisome with no warranty. The 340i, though gorgeous and "fast" needed 20K of options to make it the M-Sport I wanted it to be making it a $70K car. The SS met a happy medium for me in price/performance and the LACK of options made it attractive because the price I saw was what I get. Plus the 20% discount was a big driver - no pun intended. Also, the Motortrend video on the SS (the "New Benchmark") was the most prevalent selling factor of the SS for me. When he said "the SS puts down the power better than the Camaro SS and even the CTS-V", I was sold. Power is great, but if you just spin the tires what good is it?

Take a look on Youtube by Motortrend video (if you haven't already):

Good luck in your journey!
SilverSport likes this.

Jim
2016 SS PBM, A6, Roof, Tire
Rotofab Intake
Rotofab Engine, Plenum, Fuse Relay, and Radiator Cover
Cilajet paint treatment
ClearBra
In spring, new wheels and tires (winter set for now on the way)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 12:16 PM
SLA

That's a very diverse car list you're considering.

Most of us here bought the SS because it is big. No other new car out there offers the same driving experience while being able to carry 5 adult passengers comfortably.

Figure out how much size matters to you, and that should bring things in focus.

We had a '13 ATS 2.0 6MT. It was a fantastic car, but too small for 2 adults and a baby. I hated the HVAC controls, but my wife didn't gripe at all since it was her DD and she built up muscle memory to using it.

post #4 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOILRSS View Post
I too had the same conundrum between used ATS-V/CTS-V/M3 or a new 340i. The caddies were too expensive (even used) and I didn't want the extra worry of forced induction issues down the road. The used M3 was just worrisome with no warranty. The 340i, though gorgeous and "fast" needed 20K of options to make it the M-Sport I wanted it to be making it a $70K car. The SS met a happy medium for me in price/performance and the LACK of options made it attractive because the price I saw was what I get. Plus the 20% discount was a big driver - no pun intended. Also, the Motortrend video on the SS (the "New Benchmark") was the most prevalent selling factor of the SS for me. When he said "the SS puts down the power better than the Camaro SS and even the CTS-V", I was sold. Power is great, but if you just spin the tires what good is it?

Take a look on Youtube by Motortrend video (if you haven't already): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbLweooe3aM.

Good luck in your journey!

Thanks, I had no problem keeping the rear end planted on the ATS-V in a straight line even with traction control turned off, but I also have a lot of track experience so I know not to floor it when making a 90 degree turn lol..

We shall see what I do. My last choice is a used 2014 G37 sedan M6 for under $25K... Way too slow though lol... To answer the other guy, I don't need the back seat space so much but I do like the trunk space.
post #5 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 12:33 PM

I love my SS, but my vote is to go with the ATS-V....I'd go with the auto personally. I've been rowing gears for a long time now and I'm starting to get a little tired of it.
SilverSport likes this.

2015 Perfect Blue (6-speed manual) Moon Roof & Spare
Elite Catch Can / Rotofab Intake / LMT Dyno-Tuned (390WHP / 388 WTQ) / RotoFab Engine Covers
post #6 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 12:50 PM

I traded a ATS (3.6 Perf auto, non-V) in for my SS. If you haven't put some real miles on the ATS, I highly recommend you spend some time with it. I loved it, but it was just too small for a daily. My wife couldn't comfortably sit in front with the baby seat behind her. No one could comfortably sit behind my seat and I am only 5'11". When it was just me driving around it was a ton of fun, smooth and quick, no drama. But after a couple months I found myself wanting that drama, that brute V8 force. I'm interested in the fastest lap times, but the most fun around town. Maybe the V adds that to the ATS.
Oh, and Cue and the touch sensitive buttons suck
tom03z06 likes this.

2014 Mystic green, sunroof and spare
#3121 of 3527 built
#56 of 64
post #7 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 12:58 PM

Yeah ATS's in generally have pretty bad depreciation so I'm not surprised the ATS-V is that drastic. But it's definitely an awesome buy at 50K barely used, as much as an SS is at 40k.

As mentioned the size would probably keep me from buying one over the SS if I needed a daily driver sedan with room for passengers. And I may get flack for proposing it but if it were to be a fair weather/weekend warrior car, I'd probably go to it's platform mate Camaro SS...obviously not in play though if you need 4 doors. I'd take the LT1 over the 3.6TT, even if the cachet of a Camaro doesn't carry what and M-car or V does.

2016 Chevy SS HW
2001 Trans Am NHRA Edition, heads/cam/N2O
post #8 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 01:03 PM

If you're considering a used 2016 ATSv, you should be comparing it to a new 2016 SS (or barely used SS).

The price difference is about $15k.

As others have mentioned, there's a significant size difference as well.

Performance wise, ATSv has a significant advantage.

Total cost (depreciation), if you buy an SS new for $38k, the cost of ownership will also likely be less than a $54k ATSv. Just look at the used CTSv prices to get an idea, and that car is arguably more desirable in the used performance world with a larger aftermarket and tried and true drivetrain. The super fast depreciation already on a low volume brand new model should be worrisome for long term prices.

Summary- ATSv is nicer, smaller, and faster, but it's going to cost you a LOT more than the $8k difference you're thinking. Just gotta decide if it's worth it to YOU.

Since you can afford a GTR as well, I don't think the price is the issue. So what are you really looking for in a car? If the answer is:
RWD, v8, comfortable for 4 large adults, nice ride/handling/brakes, fun to drive daily driver and you don't care about fuel economy.... the answer is SS.

But there are certainly better performers out there.... it'll just cost you.

There's a good "super sedan" comparo out there worth reading. It had the M5, E63, Panamera Turbo, S7 and XFR in it. The interesting thing was that the SS out handled and out braked EVERY car on the list except the $180k Porsche.

However, even the slowest car on that list was significantly faster in a straight line than the SS. Good thing the cheapest one of the group costs $40k more!

2015 SS. Heron white, auto, roof, spare
1969 Ford Mustang Mach 1, s-code 390
post #9 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 01:05 PM

If you like being the guy who drives everyone around when ever you go out (like i do), then pick the SS for the size. I like the ATS-V but its going to suffer from a number of ATS issues, CUE, random electrical failures, , there's a number of complaints about moldy AC (i have sinus issues so this was a concern for me and something i smelled on an ATS i test drove). I also like the lower belt line of the SS which makes it easier to see out of.

Great performers both of them. Cadilliac hasn't quite gotten its interior game down to me. But for that money I might go ATS-V. Tough choice. The V I'd want is the blue manual sedan (no carbon pack) with the light gray interior, sadly its too specific to ever find one used.

2016 Chevy SS 6MT HW
1971 240z 5MT
2006 Mini Cooper S 6MT (Wife's car)

Last edited by Clutchfoot; 10-28-2016 at 01:08 PM.
post #10 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

My main issues with the SS are:

not enough power
Looks like very other Chevy Sedan (though black Holenizing it helps there)
The MyLink etc sucks and has not Android Auto

That's it, but the power thing is the part that bugs me the most.

Decisions, decisions...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page