7Likes
  • 2 Post By nothingtoseehere
  • 3 Post By GXPaycheck
  • 1 Post By Magnum Wheel Man
  • 1 Post By Mike V

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

New Manual Trans Owner

I just got my car the other day and I am indeed amazed at all the tech that is incorporated into these cars.
I was wonder if the gear positions on manual transmissions is displayed in any way??
I learned how to drive in a manual trans car and I have owned several cars with manual trans. The 'double H' pattern with a right hook up for reverse takes some getting use to as well as having 6 speed.

2017 Chevrolet SS Sport Sedan
Regal Peacock Green Metallic, 6 Speed Manual, Sunroof, Full Size Spare

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 11:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Captain View Post
I just got my car the other day and I am indeed amazed at all the tech that is incorporated into these cars.
I was wonder if the gear positions on manual transmissions is displayed in any way??
I learned how to drive in a manual trans car and I have owned several cars with manual trans. The 'double H' pattern with a right hook up for reverse takes some getting use to as well as having 6 speed.
Gear position does not display

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 SS 6-speed Manual Phantom Black Metallic,SR,SPARE #42 of 114 / #1387 overall
Rubber Band Delete, Rotofab CAI, Elite Catch Can & Air/Oil Separator, SW Headers, 3" to Magnaflows, High Temp 0 ohm Plug Wires, Agile Tune
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanx Snaker,
These cars display just about EVERYTHING else though!!!
Example, the name of the music you are playing is displayed in the HUD! ! !

2017 Chevrolet SS Sport Sedan
Regal Peacock Green Metallic, 6 Speed Manual, Sunroof, Full Size Spare

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 11:27 PM

For the manual trans, near redline it will display the number of the next gear in the lower right of DIC. It's very small and out of the line of sight.

The auto trans cars will display the gear in the HUD when manually selecting gears or can be displayed by any device gathering PIDS via OBD2.
RedhotFLSS and the Captain like this.

2015 A6@9psig
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 08:47 AM

You have to use the audible gear selection system to determine gear position.
toybiz, vdavis and Jack Lope like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Want to be on the Owners Map?

Links to Owners Roll Call and Owners Map:

2014 Chevy SS, Mystic Green, roof, spare. #21 of 3527, 1 of 144 in MG, #2 of 60 as optioned (sold)

2016 Chevy SS, Mystic Green, roof, spare. #555 of 2221, 1 of 76 in Mystic Green, #9 of 18 as optioned

2009 Pontiac G8 GXP, MSM, 6M. #715 of 1829.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 09:07 AM

Garage
When I 1st got mine... I was getting lost in the 6 speed... a forum member here mentioned that when you drop it out of gear, & into neutral it returns to the center position between 3rd & 4th... remembering that has helped me a lot...
the Captain likes this.

2016 Chevy SS Sedan...SSB, MT, No Sunroof, with Spare ordered on 12-30-15... scheduled build week of 2-29-16... TPW pushed back to 3-4-16 as per Chevy customer care... my baby was born... 3-9-16... Contacted CCC today 4-18-16... they confirmed my car is at port of entry ( assume Benica ) Got my VIN from the dealership on 4-20-16... dealer expects delivery on 5-5-16... finally arrived at the dealership on 6-3-16... I picked it up on 6-6-16... driving it now
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 12:06 PM

Garage
drove an old 12 speed Mack a long time ago... 3 speed non syncro in my 38 Nash requires double clutching... I've driven & drive regularly 3, 4, & 5 speed manuals... my SS was my 1st 6 speed... finding that the shifter returns to center helped me a lot

2016 Chevy SS Sedan...SSB, MT, No Sunroof, with Spare ordered on 12-30-15... scheduled build week of 2-29-16... TPW pushed back to 3-4-16 as per Chevy customer care... my baby was born... 3-9-16... Contacted CCC today 4-18-16... they confirmed my car is at port of entry ( assume Benica ) Got my VIN from the dealership on 4-20-16... dealer expects delivery on 5-5-16... finally arrived at the dealership on 6-3-16... I picked it up on 6-6-16... driving it now
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drone View Post
What's all this confusion? Y'all should try driving a 10-speed manual on a big Rig and "float" the gear changes without using the clutch...a missed shift could be catastrophic especially with a full load in certain situations. After watching female professional drivers barely 5' tall easily master this skill when I first started my OJT in 2012 post CDL school, had to step up my game...lol

If man built it, Drone will drive it!

I learned how to drive the diesel trucks in the mid 90s. I had already been driving manual cars for 7 years by then so when he told me it's best to shift without the clutch, my mind was blown when it actually worked. I help the father in law during his harvest time. I've driven a lot of his trucks over the years and funny how every transmission feels different in some way.

I ride a little Honda CBR650F bike and that's something I wish displayed the gear. I often forget which gear I'm in and constantly attempt to shift to '7th' on the highway.
Drone likes this.

#31 of 44 Perfect Blue 6M w/ roof, spare | Eibach Pro-kit | 19" VMR V718 | Solo Performance Axle-back

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page