Chevy SS Forum banner

Tuning is scary!

17K views 53 replies 28 participants last post by  69Mach390 
#1 ·
So I got my Livernois tuner in the mail today and even got my first tune back and installed same day!

But there are a few "make your palms sweat" moments when it comes to tuning these cars, so I'll share some of the scary moments so people know better what to expect. I did go through over a 100 HP tuner tunes on my 02 Trans Am that I tuned myself, so definitely not a tuning newbie.

Scary moments:
1. The moment after you press the "order" button on the website and realize your powertrain warranty is at risk.
2. The stories you read online about people bricking their computers after not following the tuning instructions.
3. The first time you plug the tuner into your car and read the stock tune, it takes about 5-10 minutes and during that time your dash reads EVERY light possible, keeps beeping, and says things like "Service StabiliTrak" and "Engine power is reduced!" Yes.... this is normal.
4. When uploading the first tune to the programmer, you get an error code. I called Livernois and the said no worries, just repeat the process and there was no error the 2nd time.
5. When uploading the first tune to the car, it gets stuck at 50% and car starts beeping, etc. (again normal) then continues to upload.

and lastly

6. The first time you test drive the car and it kicks out sideways on the 1-2 shift... yee haw!!

On a tuning related note: I'm running the 93 octane aggressive tune with a Rotofab.

How long does it take for the part throttle shifts to learn/smooth out? Only put a few miles on it so far and the part throttle shifts are definitely harsh and not smooth yet. I heard that the computer may learn this out though. Even shifting at 1500-2000 rpm it'll throw your head back in regular drive right now.

See less See more
#6 ·
So are you happy with the shifting? Ideally, I want the shifts to match up with the throttle input so it's more linear acceleration. Fast but smooth if that's possible.

I figure my head shouldn't snap back during a shift unless I'm 50% throttle or more.

I'm just curious if I should wait it out or ask for a lesser setting.

#11 ·
I had the L76 and transmission in my Silverado tuned and you can have them adjust the firmness and speed of the shifts to your liking. If it's too firm for you, have them soften it a bit. It'll reduce a lot of wear on your drivetrain long-term as well.

#34 ·
If it's too firm for you, have them soften it a bit. It'll reduce a lot of wear on your drivetrain long-term as well.
Wonder which it really is? Some tuners claim that aggressive shift is easier on the transmission as the shift is engaged for a shorter time. Others claim the softer shift can mean less likelihood of failure. Sigh, talk to two tuners and get three opinions.

#12 ·
I have just over 1000 miles on my tune. It has mellowed some in normal driving mode. It is learning what I like. Slip into sport mode and turn off traction control mash the pedal and things are not mellow. I got to skip the sweaty palms by have Livernois install the code. But, I can quite understand how watching error codes etc could cause some trepidation.

#13 ·
It should adjust. This Transmission has some adaptive control thing where it "learns" based on recent driving style...drive it hard it firms up, drive like granny and it softens out. It does make it a bit of a pain to tune, since its constantly changing the consistency of the shifts. It took me weeks to get it right on the G8. I haven't done the SS yet, because of the warranty... ;-(

#14 ·
I appreciate the comments! I'll give it a few weeks and see how it feels. Great news is the tune settings aren't permanent. I'll have them soften it up a little if that's what I end up wanting.

After putting the tune in, I can definitely see how it's pretty freakin obvious the tune makes a difference. It's NOT like an intake where you "think it feels a little faster."

It's a different car now. And that's a good thing.

#16 ·
Bah, I've been avoiding that box. The last "tune" I had was a total ECU bypass. It was easy to reverse because you simply unclipped the new box. Overwriting the programming makes me nervous too. Bricking my car would be sad.

Reading that it transforms it and you get the tail to wag during shifts, I think I'll get one despite the trepidation. When the fun obviously is being cut during the shift from 1 to 2 and the acceleration doesn't start again until 45mph is probably one of the most obvious interventions this car makes. Even my mini van would chirp the tires going up my driveway (it's a hill) but this car, nope. Turning that nonsense off sounds great.

Reactions: 69Mach390
#17 ·
#18 ·
I received my Livernois tuner via FedEx yesterday. Planning on downloading the factory tune tomorrow so your post is timely as ****. I have not decided but leaning towards the aggressive engine/performance tranny tune combination. I use the SS as a daily driver 3-4 days/week, so I want it to be docile in normal driving. Thanks for the tips!

#21 ·
This tune is worth it for any transmission!! I have been running mine for about 2K and I did a switch back to the oem tune once when I had to take the car in for service. I am running the 93 octane aggressive tune and love every minute of it! Can't wait to get these ARH long tubes and update the tune then!! You will enjoy it!

Reactions: 14SS#4446
#22 ·
I've had mine a little over a year now, and the shifting has calmed down. When driving like a normal person, the shifts are a little more than stock up and down. When going WOT the shifts snap hard, and have no problems chirping the tires when shifting. IMO the LMS tune is a very safe tune, not trying to get every ounce of power from it. I plan on getting the same tune for my ZL1, if for nothing else it needs help with shifting. I highly recommend LMS for money well spent.

#23 ·
#25 ·
Another observation from today. I can't just floor the car anymore. I have to remember to turn off traction control or it kicks in in first gear and during the 1-2 shift.

The shifts are definitely starting to smooth out. Not quite perfect yet, but getting better. If they get a little better I think I'll stick with the aggressive tune.

#27 ·
I certainly hope not.

Reactions: 2074
#42 ·
I'm ready, give it to me! Educate me. What is wrong with a mild canned tuned, besides the fact that it probably leaves power on the table? Are they dangerous in any way? I'm sure they can be if they try to be an aggressive "one size fits all" tune.

I had a 2014 Shelby GT500 and everybody swore by the Lund tune, so that's what I got. Bought the Lund tune, uploaded it and KR all over the place. The KR didn't go away until I pulled about 5 degrees of timing from the main tune with the handheld SCT tuner the lund tune was loaded onto. Got a dyno tune at a local, competent shop, and the car ran strong as ever, no KR at WOT. Just some KR at about 50% throttle/part throttle driving which was covered with a few tweaks.

Basically what I'm saying is, a mild, neutered canned tune that leaves power on the table is better/safer (IMHO) than an overly aggressive canned tune that may work on some cars, but be too aggressive on other cars which may cause damaged. Even though the factory tune that's uploaded into production cars is technically a canned tune, they're so conservative that the little variances from car to car are negligible and shouldn't cause problems in any of the cars.

The only way to truly get the absolute most out of your car with it's modifications is by a custom tune, where the tuner can see how the car reacts to tuning inputs and make the appropriate adjustments to get everything running optimally for that specific car. No way around it.

Is this more or less it? This is my guess based on the little I know and from what I've heard from other tuners.

#30 ·
I was on the fence about the LMS tune on my 16 A6, but pretty sure this thread just pushed me off the fence and into their shopping cart.

good writeup on initial and day 1+ experiences. BTW, I assume you did NOT do the 160 thermostat give it was never mentioned;

#39 ·
got a question, drove a newer camaro SS for 4 days and one thing I noticed is how you can hammer the throttle and it would spin the tires. (even rolling down the road) not in my 2017 SS (both automatics). I know the Camaro SS has a few more ponies but wondering if the LMS tune makes the car act more like the Camaro.. I was disappointed with my SS when I got home and took it for a spin (hate the camaro except for the power/ seat of pants feel). I want my SS to feel like the Camaro. hit the throttle either standing still or while rolling down the street I want the tires to feel like they are breaking loose (or actualy spinning)

#40 ·
If it was a 2016+ LT1 Camaro, then no. It'll take more than an intake and tune to be as fast as one of those. Not only do they have extra horsepower and better gearing, but they weigh a few hundred pounds less. The new Camaro automatic is running a 12.3 at 116mph. If I had to guess, I'm probably around 12.8 at 111. So it would take about another 50hp to catch up.

From a stand still, I roast the tires now (here's a link to my video again): Video - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

But I tried a 20 mph downshift to 1st and it hooked still.

#44 ·
I just wanted to give an quick UPDATE after a few weeks with the tune and a few hundred miles.

The part throttle and mid throttle shifts did smooth out a ton, but still a bit too aggressive for my tastes (taking a right turn into traffic and shifting at 3k rpms, it would kick the tail a little). So I had them update the tune. They softened the part throttle shifts and left full throttle alone.

Feels about perfect right now!

It's fun putting on a quick show for my friend's kids (they wanted to see a burnout). It's as simple as 1. Turn traction control off and 2. Punch the gas. Roasts the tires all the way through first and the 1-2 shift. Good times. :)

#45 ·
I just had a few items installed in my car and they didn't fully tune it but did lower the torque management and it makes a lot of difference. The 1-2 shift makes a lot of noise on a cement road. Moderate throttle shifts aren't bad, won't kick the back end out on a right turn. I don't think mine was as aggressive as your tune.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.