Chevy SS Forum banner

Review of a 2017 from a former 2015 owner.

10K views 66 replies 34 participants last post by  holler 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Good to know my late night ramblings still work ok in the sunlight.

Reactions: KenzSS and Benh
#5 · (Edited)
I'll save everyone the trouble so they don't have to click and read this terrible review. This review is full of facts, actual understanding of the product, and not at all filled with BS. Does this reviewer know how to properly do a review in this day and age? You need to just throw out random tidbits of unnecessary info, make up the rest of the info that you don't know instead of spending a couple of minutes researching, and also need to write the review so that it never actually arrives at a point so it wastes the readers time. Sheesh!

Edit: Should probably point out that I'm being sarcastic and actually saying this a good review. Some times people on the internet don't get the sarcasm. :tongue:

#11 ·
LOL! No harm, no foul :) Sarcasm is very difficult to emote on the inter-webs. Thanks for the kind sarcasm!!

Great review / pictures Erica - sounds like your enjoying your new 'toy'.
Very much, Larry. The stick makes it a different car.

-nice find SkywayDriver, good read
Thank you, Red Six :)

Great article! I sent it to my father so he knows what I have. At 89 he's still tearing up backroads with a manual car. Albeit a new red Mazda3.
Thanks!! Your dad sounds like my kind of people!

Nice review! Good to see the comparisons from the earlier MY for those who never knew.
Thanks :) It's still weird washing it, with the new nose and wheels. The Brembo calipers are much harder to clean now too. Should have put that in there!

#6 ·
Great review / pictures Erica - sounds like your enjoying your new 'toy'.

#10 ·
Oooh, that is a great idea. I have now had two Commodore's and two Monaro's...hmmm......

Reactions: RedhotFLSS
#15 ·
Excellent review!
Great writing too :goodjob:

#18 ·
A woman who loves a stick. Love that.
Nice review.
Though I'd argue about your comment that the auto was "MUCH" faster.
Car and Driver has tested the 2014 in an auto trans and got:
1/4 mile in 12.9 @ 111 mph
0-120 mph in 15.2 seconds.

They also then tested a 2015 in manual transmission:
1/4 mile in 13.0 @ 111 mph
0-120 in 15.3 seconds

So up to 120 mph the difference is more minuscule .1 second than "MUCH".
Note too: the 2015 manual was about 40 lbs heavier than the 2014 automatic they tested. This tells me it possibly had the optional sunroof and the fact they added Brembo brakes to the rear brakes in 2015 as well possibly contributing part of that 40 lbs weight gain (which with brakes adds rotational mass, which affects more than static weight gain). This 40 lbs weight difference could very well be the sole difference in the .1 second variation in their acceleration times. With the same rotational mass on the rear wheels and same tested weight, the manual might of even been .1-.2 seconds faster, but that's another test. :)

But regardless .1 second from a dead stop to 120 mph is basically a dead even run.
I will note that above 120 mph the auto pulled away a bit, more than likely the result of the manual needing to shift and having a taller overdrive gear than the auto at that speed resulting in a bit less acceleration.

BTW, I have the same exact car as you now too. I haven't seen many of the Perfect Blue color, so I can't comment on how it compares, but the OBM is pretty darn good looking. :D

#19 ·
Those magazines always seem to get "Wednesday cars" and maybe the dry air in California helps them get better times than we can do here in soupy FL.

The best time I ever got out of the auto (when it was stock) at the track was 13.20@105mph in perfect weather on a prepped track. When the automatic car had a Rotofab, ported throttle body and a great tune, it ran 12.80@109mph in the Florida humidity consistently. I ran the orange car Saturday night in a DA of about 1200. My 60ft was 2.365 and the 1/4 mile was 13.85@106mph. Could be I need a driver mod, after a year and a half without a stick car. LOL! The track wasn't in great shape though, but now I have a base time to build on and with the same mods, I hope to be back in the 12's soon.

Please refer to the attached picture of my old car and the new one to see how the colors compare. That blue was probably my favorite color I ever had on any of the 40 cars I have owned.

Attachments

#21 ·
That orange is pretty sweet. A bonus for a Floridian may be it's the perfect color combo if someone is a Tampa Bay Buccaneers football fan (orange body, red calipers, and what the heck...we can use imagination to call the wheels "pewter")

Reactions: SkywayDriver
#26 ·
LOL! I live very close to Raymond James Stadium and I have a Bucs tag on my car, but I covered up the flag with the Holden Racing Team logo! I'm really a Steelers fan. Even paid for the tag with my Steelers credit card! The DMV guy was very amused.

Great article, thank you.
Thank you for taking the time to read it :)

Wow, all the points are correct! Very nice!
Thanks and whew. I wrote that late last night and I was a little groggy.

I'm a little slow....:wink
Me too.

#28 ·
Thank YOU, KDC. Bumper was in the living room because it was pretty warm outside and the AC was on in the house. The best way to get the Holden grille on is to drop the bumper. It was kind of a pain to get the SS emblem off of the thing, so why suffer in a hot garage when you can watch a race while you're scrubbing the adhesive off with Goo Gone. Made for a pretty funny picture too :)

#32 ·
The auto in the blue car was fantastic and I didn't hate it. I've owned 40 cars now and it was the only speedy car I've ever had with an auto. Missed the stick too much.

I had Chris Henry in Tampa custom tune my car. He asked me how I drove, what I wanted it to do and set me up from there. After he tweaked the tune for me twice, it was absolutely perfect.

#39 · (Edited)
On Blast

After working 13-hours in Seminole Texas for Hess customer it was refreshing to finally read your most excellent review at the local Starbucks...from the seat of the pants the NGM A6 2017 SS that I test drove in Lubbock 2-weeks ago seems quicker than my M6 Alchemy. Mine should show this June/July at Myron's.

Technically the Dodge Charger is Italian...My co-workers did ask me this morning was that Purple Peugeot in the yard last week mine...lol

Keep up the great literature...still need to hit up your detail guy next time I'm in the Tampa area visiting my old G8 GT.

#40 ·
After working 13-hours in Seminole Texas for Hess customer it was refreshing to finally read your most excellent review at the local Starbucks...from the seat of the pants the NGM A6 2017 SS that I test drove in Lubbock 2-weeks ago on seems quicker than my M6 Alchemy. Mine should show this June/July at Myron's.

Technically the Dodge Charger is Italian...My co-workers did ask me this morning was that Purple Peugeot in the yard last week mine...lol

Keep up the great literature...still need to hit up your detail guy next time I'm in the Tampa area visiting my old G8 GT.
The Dodge Charger is actually an American car, assembled in Canada, with a German chassis, owned by an Italian company. :D

#41 ·
Agree about the manual in the SS for sure. The orange car is a different experience compared to my perfect blue car. My best friend has a 30K mile E39 M5 that has a Dinan stage one and is otherwise stock. He liked driving my blue automatic car and said it reminded him somewhat of his car, but when he drove the new orange one, he looked at me almost with horror in his eyes and said "So maybe it's time to let the E39 go and get one of these. THIS is a proper car." I hope he keeps the M5 because I love it as much as he does. It's similar, but more connected. No drive by wire anything. You "wear" that M5, you don't drive it.

I'm just coming off driving 2 E39 M5's for the last 8 years. I went with the OBM 6M, The M5 is going up for sale soon. The M5 definitely feels more connected and more comfortable. My latest M5 is a 2003, and it just remimds me of an old pair of sneakers, its so well broken in and smooth. I am sure the SS will feel as broken in as time goes on. The Mag ride suspension is just amazing, I drove the tail of the dragon on my break in ride hom and I was amazed how well the car handled. It never pushed, and was always flat
I have the extended leather in my M5, (sumptuous leather dash) but I really don't think the SS falls short interior wise. It has great materials where it counts

The M5's motor just feels looser and revs faster, and seemed to bring on a little more power on the top but I have not got on my SS full on yet

I had deleted the mufflers on the M5 and it seriously is one of the sweetest sounding exhausts i ever heard. It goes from nascar Stocker to screaming Ferrari up through the rev range. The SS is not as loud (yet) and driving through tunnels is so far a disappointment. And although I may want it loouder, I also realy love the oppurtnity to turn it down in Touring, as I do keep odd hours

The SS feels a lot bigger, Seems to have a bigger turning radius. Maneuvering around parking lots is were I really feel it, but the Rear camera and sensors really help.

I have the whole center console, from the cup holder locations, to the useless front bin and the charger location. and I really miss a real parking brake

The infotaiment system is awesome and I can't wait till I know it like the back of my hand. The technology The heads up display is a great plus. I love having a Bluetooth that really works. And i paid the extra few bucks a month for commercial free Pandora and listened for hours straight on my 1,900 mile ride home. Endless skipping songs was great too

The E39 has the SS in looks, It is such a great looking car but I do like a lot about the SS. It has a lot of good looking features, and the OBM color is unreal in the sunlight. I really do not like the hood vents, I wish they were detailed up a little more in the way the side vents are. Too much of an afterthought and not quite finished

I had refinished my squared E39 Wheels and they are some of the most beautiful wheels ever produced, I don't hate the SS wheels but there are better out there; One day

I'll be cleaning up the M5 this weekend and it will go soon. Although its in great shape, I had a list of wants and needs to do to it, and I am very happy to have a brand new car that shouldn't need anything for a long while. This is my first new car (Outside of several family trucks) I loved ordering it the way I wanted it, going through the waiting process like a kid counting down Christmas, planning an epic road trip with my dad, and lastly, getting 20% off due to good timing.

Myron made the deal simple and pleasant, despite having my cell phone ran over minutes before I made the deal

Oh, and Myron sends you a tin of cookies!

Sorry to takeover your thread....

Attachments

#42 ·
I agree with everything you just said! Next to the turn signals, those freaking cupholders are the most useless thing ever installed in a BMW! I have been saying for years that the E39 M5 is the best sedan that humans will ever build. It's got everything. Wrote a comparison about both cars a while back. You can check it out here if you wish.

Germany vs. America? I Mean Australia « CBS Tampa

The timing on your car sounds like it was perfect! Bet it was an awesome road trip home. My journey was a little more stressful. I ordered it back in August and from the VIN, it appears to be one of the first built. Build date is October 17th. I tracked it when it was being shipped and it arrived on Feb 1st. The dealer wasn't coming a penny off of the sticker so I told them I'm happy with my Perfect Blue car and let it go. I texted the sales guy on March 1st when the 20% off came out of nowhere. They called me back the next day and said "come get your car." What I didn't know is my friend, who bought an '15 SS a year and a half ago the day after he drove mine, thought he was buying my car via another dealer. I showed up at his house right after I took delivery of my car and he was amazed that we would both have the same car now! Then it dawned on me that he made a deal for MY car. He ran upstairs, grabbed his paperwork and ran back down to my car and compared the VIN and proceeded to call me very bad names while the rest of us tried very hard not to laugh. We got him some scotch and he calmed down. Long story short, he ended up driving over to Daytona Beach to get a Slipstream with a stick that someone else was trying to buy. The sales manager had to take the keys out of the other guy's hand!

Wish you could hold on to the M5. It's such a special car and they look so good together!

Attachments

#52 ·
Good read, wasn't expecting this.......
.......Sure, you can still get a shouty, new SRT Charger if you’re looking for a 4-door with a big V8 for about the same price, but you can’t get one of those things with a stick shift and you have to be willing to be seen in a Dodge.
:laugh

#53 ·
Good read, wasn't expecting this....... :laugh
Well, it's a compromise many of us are not willing to make. I had to break the news to a friend of mine that daily's a Challenger R/T (also has a '72 and a '74 Trans Am) that secretly only Mopar people like Mopars. He said he wasn't surprised. LOL

#55 ·
SkywayDriver,
I too grinned when reading the Dodge remark. Matter of fact, I've owned more Chrysler products than I can count on both hands and really liked them, but having attempted to work at a DCJR dealership for a year, it gave me a whole different perspective. If customers understood the lack of parts support and reliability vs GM or Ford for that matter, the DCJR vehicles would never even be a consideration. GM sells from my last account either 3 or 4 times as many vehicles annually, thus a much better service and support structure is in place for it's customers. It truly amazes me how Dodge thinks you can just throw a monster engine in something and make it the world's most awesome vehicle, yet they've killed off their true sports car, the Viper!

#56 ·
I know I'm a little rough on the MOPAR crowd, but I can't help it. The engines in the Hellcats are truly amazing. The crap that is wrapped around the engine of a Hellcat is embarrassing and why the rest of the world laughs at most american cars. FCP knows that a slick marketing campaign is all they need to sell some cars and the rest go to the rental fleets and various law enforcement agencies. The Viper is truly an exceptional car, but why would any sane person buy one when they can get a new Z06 PLUS a new Gran Sport Corvette for the price of one Viper?

I wonder if Chrysler is still living under the Lee Iacocca mentality of "Make the cheapest car you possibly can and try to get as much money as you can. Hire some new designers, make people think they are getting a deal and be fine with being #3."

#61 ·
The Charger/300C doesn't have enough head room for me and I prefer the subtle styling of the SS over the Charger. The interiors are a toss up, however, the SS's looks much better in person. We could certainly debate Mylink vs UConnect, but on a driver's car, I consider both icing on a cake.

What sold me on the SS is the Tremec 6 speed, Magneride, LS3, bang for the buck, and comparisons to the E39 M5. Its rarity is a bonus.

The only Chrysler product I've owned is my 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi. It's at 135,000 miles, never had any nagging issues, have just done regular service and my wife drives it daily to work because it makes the perfect urban assault vehicle.

Darn thing still has its factory starter, A/C compressor, water pump, etc. It's been and continues to be a solid truck. Game plan is for it to live at the house we'll build in a few years out in the country.

#62 ·
To me, SS has a nicer interior as well. The navi works well, just wish it had Apple CarPlay. I've spent a lot of time with several E39 M5's and I agree that the SS is a slightly bigger version of that wonderful car. I have owned a bunch of cars that turned out to be quite rare and that is a huge selling point for me. I'd rather not buy a car that I can also rent.

My brother had the opposite experience you have with your truck. His Durango, that the bought new, was one problem after another. He finally gave up trying to fix the AC after several expensive attempts. It had all kinds of little problems. Same thing with his 1500 Hemi truck. Fortunately, he is now driving a '13 F250 that already has 75K miles and has not spent a day in the shop and it looks as good as it did the day he bought it.

Aaaah, country living. I miss that.

Reactions: RedhotFLSS
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.