Feb. 19 - Last day to order... - Chevy SS Forum
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Feb. 19 - Last day to order...

I did not see this mentioned here, but Road & Track is saying that Feb. 19 is the last day to order the SS.

February 19th Is the Last Day You Can Order a New Chevrolet SS

Better get your order in soon!

ScottE
16' SSBM 6M-roof-spare

#34 of 69
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 01:42 PM

Garage
I think buying my 16 A6 was probably the best choice I ever made. I still sometimes lament not getting a stick but then I think 'So what... My life is now intertwined with Americana and automotive history'. It's a bittersweet thing to love something so much yet accept its departure with peace.
KenzSS, HanoverJoe and kn7671 like this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 02:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBrule View Post
I think buying my 16 A6 was probably the best choice I ever made. I still sometimes lament not getting a stick but then I think 'So what... My life is now intertwined with Americana and automotive history'. It's a bittersweet thing to love something so much yet accept its departure with peace.
This ^^^^ said perfectly and agree 100%.

2016 Chevy SS Sedan - Auto - Phantom Black Metallic

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 02:48 PM

Garage
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighss View Post
I did not see this mentioned here, but Road & Track is saying that Feb. 19 is the last day to order the SS.

February 19th Is the Last Day You Can Order a New Chevrolet SS

Better get your order in soon!
The article says that since the SS didn't catch on, there will be no replacement for the car. As far as I can see, there was no effort on the part of GM or Chevrolet to sell the car or promote it. How could it catch on?

Even now, I see Chevy ads on the TV for everything else they sell except the SS.
z51vett, Rich, KeyWil and 2 others like this.

Springfield, MA
2016 Slipstream Blue Chevrolet SS 6MT with sunroof and spare
Built 3/7/2016, #1,753, #53 of 69 with these options.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 03:37 PM

Garage
My local dealership just got 3 allocations, but the system would not let him order a manual car.

I'm not sure I would order the automatics, I think it will take a big discount to move them.

2016 SS,M6,Spare,Roof,Rohana RFX5 Wheels, Rotofab,Eibach Springs

Last edited by RJ111; 02-17-2017 at 03:39 PM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 03:54 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdavis View Post
The article says that since the SS didn't catch on, there will be no replacement for the car. As far as I can see, there was no effort on the part of GM or Chevrolet to sell the car or promote it. How could it catch on?

Even now, I see Chevy ads on the TV for everything else they sell except the SS.
Yeah those stupid "real people not actors" commercials that make me turn to another station everytime they come on.
Longevity and Rich like this.

Sean E.

MY17 Orange Blast Metallic M6/Spare
2005 Lava Orange Mazdaspeed MX-5

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdavis View Post

The articles never mention that part..... only that it was a slow seller

2016 PBM, 3 pedals, hole in roof, pristine rim in trunk
1965 289 A-code, convertible, toploader - in pieces
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 05:04 PM

The SS was never intended to sell "well" or catch on - that's why its not advertised outside of NASCAR. GM has met every sales goal for the SS. By this summer they will have built 10,000 SS and sold almost every single one of them. The car had a short lifespan from inception. The only reason it was offered to us was Maximum Bob Lutz and a contractual obligation with Holden Australia. The demise of Pontiac left a void in that obligation that wasn't fully met with the G8. If there were no Bob Lutz and the obligation to sell "X" number of cars on the Zeta platform, there would be no SS to complain about the lack of marketing effort. In today's auto world and GM's lineup, there is no business case for GM to build this car - it has poor fuel economy and competes in the same class as the Impala (a car that GM "wants" to sell). The SS has been win-win for GM. Enthusiasts get a great car and its sales numbers are so low that it doesn't impact CAFE requirements.

I may be off on some of the details above as it has been hashed over many times since the forum was established, but this is the SS story in a nutshell. GM knows how to market and sell a car if it "wants" too. It just "doesn't want" to market the SS.

What's the old saying - "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth." GM would not have built (and imported) this car if it "didn't" have to. I'm glad they "had" to build this car. Be thankful for Maximum Bob and this Zeta obligation that we have this awesome car offered for sale.

Current
17 Chevy SS PBM - | 6M | Sunroof | Spare |
09 Saab 9-7x Aero

Previous
09 Pontiac G8 GT MGM - | Rotofab | Solo Axle Back | FE3 | Superchips Cortex 2950 | TRS HID | VG Sharkfin Antenna | -
Sold 10/2015
00 VW Passat (B5) - | OEM Navigation | Euro Switch | Euro HID | CC Corner Lamps | Rear Fog Lamps | Warning Triangle | - Sold 9/2010
94 Mazda MX-6 - Sold 11/2004
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 05:55 PM
six

^^ This

Yes, the SS "didn't catch on" because it wasn't supposed to. People like Road & Track write that because they know the vast majority does not know the story behind the SS. Heck, the vast majority does not know the SS even exists.
SSCRUISER and Z06fan like this.

2015 Heron White SS | 6MT | Spare | Roofless | #2645 #7/12 #6172/12953
[Past] 2003 Acura 3.2CL Type-S 6MT | Navless : 2004 Ford P71 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | Former San Rafael PD : 2006 Mazdaspeed6 GT | WWP/Black | Navless : 2005 Mazda6 5-door | Auto
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 07:22 PM
PPV

I'd bet there will be more 17 M6 cars than any other year. 309 on autotrader now.

1968 K10 SWB - Red
1970 SS454 Monte Carlo - 19 Tuxedo Black - 1 of 3823
1971 SS454 Monte Carlo - 75 Cranberry Red - 1 of 1919
2009 Silverado 1500 - Black
2013 9C1 - PBM sold
2017 SS - M6 Roof PBM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page