Intentional Low Mileage - Chevy SS Forum
 89Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Intentional Low Mileage

So I finally got my paws on an SS. Its a second hand 16 HW 6M and I couldn't be happier. Its been a long journey to become an owner. I remember when this forum was first launched back in 12/13 when they announced it and being super bummed hearing it was going to be offered in automatic only. Then I heard about the manual so I put my deposit on a 15, but rescinded due to finances. Then again on a 16, and also rescinded. Then again on a 17, and couldn't sell my Nova in time to make the purchase when it arrived so I had to let that one go too. It was such a lucky Wednesday where I got a call from someone saying they wanted to buy my Nova, we met up, he drove it, then bought it on the spot. I hopped on craigslist just to see what I could see (but never really see SSs end up on CL), however I found a 16 HW 6M with a full Holden conversion the next city over. Drove over there and handed him cash on the spot. I couldn't believe it. Drove it home; was going over the paperwork and noticed the window sticker and the VIN was the same exact car that I had a deposit on in 2016. Fate is a funny thing. This is one of my first posts and I couldn't resist that story.

My main inquiry: How many of you intend to keep the mileage low on your vehicles given the rarity and low production. I find myself fighting off cravings to drive it everywhere because I want to keep it in tip top shape and know how much of a pain it is to own a low prod vehicle, with finding parts and making repairs. Thankfully we have 2 fuel efficient beaters I can use and a garage for the SS to hide away in so if I ever take it out, its because I want to and not because I have to. Maybe this feeling will subside as the car ages in my possession, as I've always been the type of person to be against "garage queening" and believe a car should fulfill its purpose, but I can't help but feel I have a true gem in my possession. Sorry for the long post, couldn't freakin' help myself, man. Its been a month and I'm still too excited.
dz28, SSCRUISER, RJ111 and 13 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 08:58 AM

Glad your found your car. That was a long journey that ended on a good note. I have been trying to keep the miles down on my car. I have 9000 in a yr.and 1/2. That is driving almost daily but no long trips.

Current vehicles:
2015 SS Red Hot 2
1/8 mile 7.45 stage2 Heartbeat, 7.72NA stage1
1/4 ET 11.43 stage2 Heartbeat, 11.98NA stage1
Base Dyno :340WHP, Stage 1 NA 460WHP,430WTQ
Mods:Kooks1 7/8 Headers,Green cats,Resonators and Mufflers,Cam,Heads,Tune,Converter,BMR,Magnuson Heartbeat,7 1/2Boost,BAP,1000ID, custom CAI,PCM catch can
Stage2 642WHP,534WTQ

Best of my past:
1970 Camaro, 465hp/454,M-22 4-speed,4:11
Bad Ride
2009 Pontiac G8GT, Red,
2014PBM SS 445RWHP Headers,cam,CAI,Tune,Converter
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 09:07 AM

Garage
I have no plans to keeping the mileage low. Cars are meant to be driven, not kept as garage queens. Just my opinion. Plus the car is so fun to drive.

2017 SS SSB/M6/Spare
2015 SS Heron White/A6/Sunroof/Spare
2005 Monte Carlo SS Supercharger/Auto/Sunroof

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 09:10 AM

Garage
My MY16 SBM w/sunroof & spare has 8500 miles on it after 7 months of ownership which is about what I expected. It is my only car but I work at home if I'm not traveling to another state for work. I recently put a few hundred miles on when I went to New York, then Philadelphia for a client otherwise I'd still be under 8000 miles.

I think a lot of us struggle with wanting to drive a lot because it's such a pleasure and keeping it washed and protected in the garage. The SS was clean since last Sunday and protected from yesterday's foot and a half snowfall but my partner was in an accident last night with his 19 year old Honda Accord so I had to go out and pick him up. Now it bugs me that the SS is dirty again (not too bad, mostly around the lower half of the sides and back) from driving in the snow and on treated highways but I know it's going to happen until Spring comes. We are so protective of our babies.

If I was required to drive more like I used to commute for work, I would have hesitated getting a car that gets such poor mileage even if it is fun to drive. I probably would have kept the BMW 335is longer since it could get up to 27 mpg on the highway or the Saab 9-5 that got up to 30 mpg.

Congratulations and thanks for sharing such an interesting story.

Springfield, MA
2016 Slipstream Blue Chevrolet SS 6MT with sunroof and spare
Built 3/7/2016, #1,753, #53 of 69 with these options.
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 09:16 AM

Intentional Low Mileage

I bought a '16 new with intent of keeping miles ~4K or less/yr. It is not a daily driver and is stored for about 4 months during the winter. It was just below 4K when I parked it in December (took delivery last April). Not sure I'll be able to stick to my plan, a couple of reasonable road trips a year will eat up a lot of those miles. So, I'll try to limit "excess" mileage and just do my best to take care of the car. It's not going to be a museum piece and I want to enjoy owning and driving it, otherwise why buy it? It would be nice if it holds resale value relatively well, but I knew going in it would not be an appreciating asset.
Wathavidun likes this.

"Don't get stuck on stupid."
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 09:20 AM

I try not to drive mine much but it's tough. I have 3,400 miles on it in 9.5 months. I drive my Camaro more but even that only has 1,900 miles on it in 4 months and 300 of those are driving it home from the dealer. I need to drive more!

1987 IROC M5- 13.4@110mph burning up 245/50 street tires, stolen
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1999 Camaro SS M6- plate "10SCNDS", sold
2014 Infiniti Q60S A7- Wifey's
2016 Chevy SS - #353 built, #76 of 307 PBM, Auto, sunroof/spare. SSV Redline exterior.
2016 Camaro 2SS - black/ceramic white, A8, MRC, Dual Mode.
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 10:24 AM

We have a 2009 Pontiac G8GT and the 2016 SS. My concession to milage issues is that we drive the G8 more than the SS just because it is older. The SS is just an improved G8 and our G8 has been a great car. Don
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 10:28 AM

I kept the miles down on my '14. The new owner appreciates it.
SleeperKills likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Want to be on the Owners Map?

Links to Owners Roll Call and Owners Map:

2014 Chevy SS, Mystic Green, roof, spare. #21 of 3527, 1 of 144 in MG, #2 of 60 as optioned (sold)

2016 Chevy SS, Mystic Green, roof, spare. #555 of 2221, 1 of 76 in Mystic Green, #9 of 18 as optioned

2009 Pontiac G8 GXP, MSM, 6M. #715 of 1829.

post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 10:37 AM

LS3 is like a 300,000 mile engine.
Plenty of LS3's and trannys will be available for this car twenty years from now.
69Mach390 likes this.

2015 RPGAT
sold
2017 NGMMT
bonding
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 10:44 AM

Car is my daily as I already have a low mileage toy, so no avoiding mileage. Though in a typical year it's not bad, about 11-12k. So should be easy to get 10 years out of it.

2016 Chevy SS HW
2001 Trans Am NHRA Edition, heads/cam/N2O

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page