Drove new 17' manual today and not impressed - Chevy SS Forum
 345Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 158 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Drove new 17' manual today and not impressed

Been waiting in a 17' Orange Blast to arrive in my area so that I could see the color in real life and compare the M6 vs A6 trans. My local dealer actually ordered an auto OBM in December for me, but I told him that I really wanted to test the manual before taking delivery later this summer. He's a good friend of mine, so he ran a locate on the GM computer and confirmed that the dealership had actually taken delivery of the car before we took a trip to see it. The car arrived yesterday and was just about to go through the PDI process. The dealer was gracious enough to hand me the keys and let me have free reign. I had my reservations with the manual after reading reviews here. Unfortunately, the reviews are correct concerning the spongy non interactive clutch pedal as well as the notchy transmission shifts. I was totally unimpressed and don't get why so many people praise the manual. It's in all actuality probably just me and my expectations. I've always driven 60's and 70's muscle cars and trucks all the way up to the two old Deuce and a Half 2 1/2 Ton ex military trucks. All of those vehicles had a very manual involved feeling with the clutch pedal as well as the shifter. Maybe it's the hydraulic clutch system and dual mass flywheel that modern cars use. The salesman that showed the car told me that his Corvette was the same way and that the Camaro is likewise. He actually disliked it and traded for a C7 Vette auto which he says is definitely faster and in his opinion more enjoyable than his manual. Upon further conversing, he told me that he tracked his cars with SCCA and he swears that his auto turns consistently quicker lap times than his manual did. I do realize that he has the better suited 8 speed auto in the C7. He offered to let me drive his car, but I figured that may not be good for my bank account! We discussed the auto 6 speed in the SS and he truthfully told me that the car would be much better if GM would have used the 8 speed instead. I will try an A6 next, but I'm kinda bummed and not sure if it will be more to my liking after my experience and conversation. I've read that a tune can make a world of difference in the auto, but I'm kinda just deflated after the manual let me down. I want the four door sedan rather than a cramped two door sports car, but I may not have a choice it seems. Just gonna wait for the A6 to arrive and allow my mind to reset and go in with a non bias positive attitude when I test drive it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170128_143209.jpg (289.0 KB, 486 views)
KenzSS, z51vett, kdc1899 and 4 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 158 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 08:05 PM

Garage
Cool story bro
Danimal, LastSS, dsgerbc and 18 others like this.
post #3 of 158 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltedge View Post
Been waiting in a 17' Orange Blast to arrive in my area so that I could see the color in real life and compare the M6 vs A6 trans. My local dealer actually ordered an auto OBM in December for me, but I told him that I really wanted to test the manual before taking delivery later this summer. He's a good friend of mine, so he ran a locate on the GM computer and confirmed that the dealership had actually taken delivery of the car before we took a trip to see it.

The car arrived yesterday and was just about to go through the PDI process. The dealer was gracious enough to hand me the keys and let me have free reign. I had my reservations with the manual after reading reviews here. Unfortunately, the reviews are correct concerning the spongy non interactive clutch pedal as well as the notchy transmission shifts. I was totally unimpressed and don't get why so many people praise the manual.

It's in all actuality probably just me and my expectations. I've always driven 60's and 70's muscle cars and trucks all the way up to the two old Deuce and a Half 2 1/2 Ton ex military trucks. All of those vehicles had a very manual involved feeling with the clutch pedal as well as the shifter. Maybe it's the hydraulic clutch system and dual mass flywheel that modern cars use.

The salesman that showed the car told me that his Corvette was the same way and that the Camaro is likewise. He actually disliked it and traded for a C7 Vette auto which he says is definitely faster and in his opinion more enjoyable than his manual. Upon further conversing, he told me that he tracked his cars with SCCA and he swears that his auto turns consistently quicker lap times than his manual did. I do realize that he has the better suited 8 speed auto in the C7. He offered to let me drive his car, but I figured that may not be good for my bank account! We discussed the auto 6 speed in the SS and he truthfully told me that the car would be much better if GM would have used the 8 speed instead.

I will try an A6 next, but I'm kinda bummed and not sure if it will be more to my liking after my experience and conversation. I've read that a tune can make a world of difference in the auto, but I'm kinda just deflated after the manual let me down. I want the four door sedan rather than a cramped two door sports car, but I may not have a choice it seems. Just gonna wait for the A6 to arrive and allow my mind to reset and go in with a non bias positive attitude when I test drive it!
Readable now
SlingShot, willy92, PFWiz and 23 others like this.

1977 Z28 (sold)
1973 Corvette Vert (sold)
1995 Vette (sold)
1996 Collector Edition Vette Vert (sold)
2005 GMC step side with supercharged 6.0L (totaled)
2008 Vette Supercharged (sold)
2013 GS Vette Supercharged (sold)
1969 Camaro SS w/built 406 currently under the knife
2004 Chevy flat bed with supercharged L33 (current work truck)
2016 SS, SLIHRM with M6, hole in roof, big tire in trunk, overdriven flux capacitor. Soon to be supercharged.

post #4 of 158 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I'm sorry to hear of your disappointment with the manual, but you are certainly not alone. Time and temp help with the notchiness to a point, as well as a fluid change which I haven't done yet. The clutch feels much different than any that I've had in the past, but once you get the feel for it and it's engagement points I'd not have it any other way as it is light and responsive to what I ask it to do. I also owned an auto SS, and didn't have any issues with that trans either. I've heard about a bit of lag when using the paddles, but I always had a hand on the shifter just 'cause I'm old.
As for the eight speed in the SS I think that's a non starter simply because this car existed in 2013 in Australia, before the LT1 and the eight speed that mates to it.
I do hope that you find an SS/transmission that suits you, as the car itself is something special.
Where is that car located? I'm certain there are people on here that would love to take it home, especially if you were nice to it...
KenzSS, MikeC1003, Kendra and 5 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Perfect Blue Metallic, 6M, Roto-Fab CAI, fuse relay, radiator and engine covers, S & B Blue Power Stack filter, Weathertechs, 35% tint, ClearShield Pro, Lloyd SS trunk mat, 1080P HD dashcam, Solo Performance axle back exhaust, Maverick Man strut tower caps, billet SS abs cover, Granatelli Motorsports electronic exhaust cutouts, BMR components, MGW short throw shifter
#2564 of 3168 for 2015, 1 of 273 PBM SS's ever produced, 1 of 77 in PBM with Tremec TR6060, #38 of 44 PBM as optioned
post #5 of 158 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 08:13 PM

The A6 has shown all around better times. Many have had skip shift eliminated.
Over the years I learned no two manuals shift or clutch the same. Transmissions
always improve after broken in...
The manual has that driver engagement which is apparently slated as dangerous
along with human drivers. Soon to be regulated out of existence.
birddog, prabal34, Bo799 and 4 others like this.

GERALDCHRISTIE6
BORN 10/30/14 #153 BUILT, #13 0F 277
2015 HERON WHITE/SUNROOF/FULL SIZE SPARE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 158 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 08:16 PM

I've driven an MT SS before. I have not driven an MT car in 30 years so I don't have anything to compare it to. Are you comparing your SS experience to anything recent?
thanks
birddog likes this.
post #7 of 158 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15SuperSport View Post
I'm sorry to hear of your disappointment with the manual, but you are certainly not alone. Time and temp help with the notchiness to a point, as well as a fluid change which I haven't done yet. The clutch feels much different than any that I've had in the past, but once you get the feel for it and it's engagement points I'd not have it any other way as it is light and responsive to what I ask it to do. I also owned an auto SS, and didn't have any issues with that trans either. I've heard about a bit of lag when using the paddles, but I always had a hand on the shifter just 'cause I'm old.
As for the eight speed in the SS I think that's a non starter simply because this car existed in 2013 in Australia, before the LT1 and the eight speed that mates to it.
I do hope that you find an SS/transmission that suits you, as the car itself is something special.
Where is that car located? I'm certain there are people on here that would love to take it home, especially if you were nice to it...
Yep, not my favorite setup ever. Of course, it's easy to be the best manual V8 sport sedan in America when you're pretty much the ONLY manual V8 sport sedan in America!

2015 M6 SIM, No options, no mods
post #8 of 158 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 08:36 PM

No offense to any of you who have not liked the manual.

However,

I have owned 9 manual transmission cars/jeeps/trucks and never ever have i just not stepped into the next car including the SS (site unseen and undriven full payment) and started to drive it and go and have fun.

I never even think about it. Perhaps, i am just a better driver
RJ111, jbawden, cyp and 18 others like this.
post #9 of 158 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 09:15 PM

I really like the manual transmission, when I drive it back to back with my manual wrx or frontier it is a night and day difference. I'm still looking to install an mgw shifter to make it even better though.

I know my experience is limited, but I've owned manual cars from Mazda, Nissan, subaru, and chevy and the ss is by far the best to me
birddog and Drone like this.
post #10 of 158 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 09:20 PM

Manual or bust with this car. Just my opinion though.

2016 Chevrolet SS in Slipstream Blue Metallic. 6M, Roof, Spare. 1 of 69.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page