The case for a 4000 car "Pipeline" - Chevy SS Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

The case for a 4000 car "Pipeline"

Many salespeople that sell non consumer goods will tell you that they live and die by the "pipeline". The pipeline being pre-sales customer prospecting, developing leads into potential customers, possibly a long... sales cycle, "THE" sale, post sale customer care/service, and then asking for referrals. I would say that MYRON has perfected the SS sales pipeline, congrats!

But for those of us hoping to SCORE an SS in the near future, there is also the product pipeline. For us hopeful future owners, the product pipeline starts in Adelaide Australia. According to a post on the ship tracking thread, the factory lot is currently (mid May 2017) "full of Chevy SS vehicles" waiting to start their journey to the US, none are at the harbour. In addition there are numerous ships with 100+ of vehicles enroute. So "THE" question is just how many. Right now only GM and Holden insiders know for sure, as the SS production is complete.

Fact #1 - According to GMAuthority.com the sales figures for the 2017 MY is 1779.

Fact #2 - I have been tracking the CARS.COM total number of listings since mid March. The number of listing has climbed from about 200+ to just over 900. Most listing now have dealers lot pictures so these cars are not in transit to the dealers.

Fact #3 - If you add the 1800 sold year to date to the 900 dealer listing vehicles you get 2700 that have arrived in the US.

Fact #4 - According to Australian publication 'Perth Now', Holden's (Chevrolet's Australian brand) Elizabeth plant received an order from America for an additional 1000 SS sedans to be built and shipped to our shores.

Speculation #1 - There are clearly more than 300 cars that are still in the shipping pipeline - factory to port.

Speculation #2 - Therefore, it can be reasonably inferred that the "extra" 1000 vehicle order that was announced in Sept 2016 means that the 2017 SS production run will probably be close to 4000 vehicles.

So is the "Product Pipeline" glass half full with about 2000 unsold cars either enroute or at dealer lots, or is the "product Pipeline" 2/3 empty with about 1800 cars already sold and only about 1000 "orphans" still waiting for a new home.

Let the speculation begin ... I say 1600 total to go - 900 in the US plus 600 in the shipping pipeline. Total run of 3500 vehicles. What is your over or under?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 11:00 PM

Garage
I've been watching this too.
I'm just glad that my '16 will be the rarest year and I got a screaming deal on it (IMO) with the 20% and some haggling.

Over or under, I think it's safe to say '17 will be the most common year for the SS.
I'll go with 3700. What do I win if I'm right?

1. '94 F-250 XCLB, Turbo Diesel, 5M, White (Scrapped)
2. '10 Tundra DCSB, 4.6, 4X, Pyrite Mica (Totaled)

3. '90 Hilux Surf, 2L-TE, 4X, 5M, Red/Grey
4. '16 SS, 6M, Sunroof, Heron White
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 11:31 PM

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 11:33 PM

I think the original extra 1,000 was speculation that MY 2017 would only be a 1,000 unit run.
Hence the extra.
2016 was supposed to be the end of the contracted 3 year run but maybe GM hadn't yet figured out what to replace the NASCAR car with.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 12:59 PM

Here is the SS pipeline. Obviously, too much idle time today.

The pipeline column includes the cars currently in stock at dealerships.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SS Pipeline.pdf (58.3 KB, 195 views)
Z06fan, rao, Drone and 1 others like this.

2015 Chevrolet SS, Heron White, manual/roof/spare/RotoFab CAI/Magnaflow exhaust

(My 40 year automotive life ... Austin, BMW, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Dodge, Ferrari, Ford, Lotus, McLaren, Opel, Porsche, VW, Volvo...)

Visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for 2017 vehicle production & availability information.

Last edited by MyronM; 05-19-2017 at 03:15 PM.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 04:22 PM

I'll take a random guess and say 3,859 2017 SS's were built.

#31 of 44 Perfect Blue 6M w/ roof, spare | Eibach Pro-kit | 19" VMR V718 | Solo Performance Axle-back
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 04:40 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to airboss63
4350 total units for MY 2017 is my guess...

Joe "SKYBOSS" Morales
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 04:55 PM

$1 Bob.
LAG, 69Mach390 and SeanE like this.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronM View Post
Here is the SS pipeline. Obviously, too much idle time today.

The pipeline column includes the cars currently in stock at dealerships.
WOW! Quite an impressive work product. Again, congrats on your personal sales pipeline.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

During my multiple visits to the local Montgomery County PA dealer, I have gathered a collection of 2017 Model Year SS Brochures. It appears that they somewhat difficult to get. I will ship 1 brochure to the person that posts the closest number to the final production number that is posted on GMAUTHORITY.COM We probably will not get that figure until July.

RULES:
Obviously you must have posted your number before the final figure is released and your first posting # is your entry - no double entries. You can be over or under. I will calculate the closest numerical number based on the production number. If there are tie entries, then the earliest posting wins.

Best of luck to all those that might be interested.
RKEETEC likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page