SS Shopping After March Incentives - Chevy SS Forum
 100Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 228 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

SS Shopping After March Incentives

Greeting Folks!

I have been mulling an SS purchase for over 9 months. I missed the Fall 2016 incentives and once again the sale promotion earlier this month. By the time I heard about the sale all the local dealers had sold out. Therefore, I have decided to prep and do my research prior any possible future sale and be ready to make a move. I figured that my best move was to go to a few dealers that have received a vehicle after the sales promotion, test drive it. and figure out what colors/transmission options are coming within 200 miles of Philadelphia.

Unfortunately my plan has run into a brick wall. I just experienced my worst car shopping experience ever. Just to level set, over the last 30 years I have purchased 15 new and 3 used vehicles from Franchise dealers - Ford, Chrysler, Lincoln, Mercury, Nissan, Mazda, BMW and Mercedes; for either myself or my wife. Most were good experiences, and a few have been OK but not great. However, today's car shopping experience takes the top looser prize.

When I first arrived at the dealer I was ignored. Numerous staff walked by and did not acknowledge my presence. So after walking around a bit and checking out the three Corvettes and two Camaros that were on the floor, I decided to wait by the reception desk. After about five minutes a lady showed up. She sat down and started working on her computer. I looked at her for about a half minute and then said - HELLO?

She then asked me if I needed help. I thought to myself - no I am just standing here pretending to be a statue. But I was civil and informed her that I wanted to talk to a sales person. After another 10 minutes wait a salesperson finally introduced himself. I asked him about the SS. It was then that he informed me that the SS that is listed on their website is still in transit. Of course I should have known that the vehicle was in transit since the following information is on their website along with the picture ...

"This Phantom Black Metallic 2017 Chevrolet SS 4dr Sdn is for sale today at XXXX Chevrolet in XXX, PA. Our sales team is available to assist you with questions you have about the Chevrolet SS, or if you wish to schedule a test drive give us a call today!"

I then asked him if he had details on when it was arriving. No he said, but I should look at their website. RIGHT... you mean the website that said you had one and that I could schedule a test drive; THAT website. I then asked him if he could find out if the dealer had any other cars on order, as I want a RPGM auto or stick. No he said, just keep looking on the website. REALLY?

By the way this sales genius did not ask for my contact info at all. I know that I must be a snob. My last three car purchases were Mercedes - ML350, C300, and GL450. But I just bought my wife a Chrysler Pacifica back in December. We arrived at the dealer 1 hour before closing, we test drove the minivan and we were out the door in the new ride within 90 minutes on arrival.

So my question to the Forum is; is the general GM sales slide due to dealers like this? If it was not for the fact that I REALLY want an SS, I would never again step into another Chevy dealers' showroom again.

On a positive note, I did get an complimentary SS sales brochure!

Please let me know your future SS purchase strategies. I would definitely like to get one but not at MSRP.

Regards... and happy hunting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 228 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 10:02 PM

what dealer ???
some of us local guys can tell you who to stay away from.
z51vett likes this.

2017 SIM ROOFLESS SPARE
2014 SIM ROOFLESS - Traded
2,703rd customer car built
1 of 73 ROOFLESS SIM customer built cars
1 of 78 total ROOFLESS SIM in US when including the 5 roofless SIM GM internal cars sold as used.
1 of the 78 is confirmed dead and unrecoverable.
I don't do lazy or stupid.
Proudly politically incorrect.
post #3 of 228 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome jodakid!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Currently:
2017 SS OBM, A6, w/Spare & Roof
2010 Colorado Z71 4X4 5.3 V8

post #4 of 228 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 11:22 PM

Call Myron, take a trip...
PFWiz likes this.
post #5 of 228 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsmer1 View Post
Call Myron, take a trip...
He needs NE1 emissions.
RedhotFLSS likes this.

2017 SIM ROOFLESS SPARE
2014 SIM ROOFLESS - Traded
2,703rd customer car built
1 of 73 ROOFLESS SIM customer built cars
1 of 78 total ROOFLESS SIM in US when including the 5 roofless SIM GM internal cars sold as used.
1 of the 78 is confirmed dead and unrecoverable.
I don't do lazy or stupid.
Proudly politically incorrect.
post #6 of 228 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 12:54 AM

Personally guess im fortunate I deal with salesman here in Vegas that has been a salesman for many years, low pressure guy and get best deal possible, for that reason he just sold me car number three and he is the only guy I deal with for life buying chevy. I think the key is finding a seasoned salesman that is looking for repeat business opposed to one that is newer.

welcome jodakid, all the best getting the SS you want at a good price with good service.

2017 SS NGM - A6, Loaded

2015 SS SIM- A6, Loaded - 8 of 130 as optioned 1st owner
--red tail dual tip exhaust, partial carbon fiber wrap, slate grey powder coated wheels - (traded in 3/4/17)

2014 Camaro 2SS summit white (sold)
2005 Galant GTS (given away)
1979 Camaro Berlinetta (sold)
post #7 of 228 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 01:00 AM

As far as that specific dealership, you should have been contacted within a minute or two of walking in the door. Someone should have asked if you needed help and at that point you could have told them what you were up to. I would like to know the name of the dealership you were at and I will hazard a guess the owner of that dealership would like to hear of your experience also. Of course if you were hiding in a corner that would change things, but I doubt you were doing that.

Regarding the price you will pay, well that is up to speculation. It all depends on how the SS's are selling and how individual dealerships feel about moving them. This last sale was out of the clear blue and almost no one expected it to happen when it did. I actually broke the news of the 20% off sale to the dealership I worked with and they were caught totally by surprise. There are all sorts of opinions on this website if and when there will be another sale but the guy that sold me my SS said he would be surprised if Chevrolet pulls off another one. Guess we will have to see down the road. If the SS's aren't selling well then my guess is there will be another sale probably around Julyish.

Before the sale I was looking at getting about $1500.00 of the MSRP and I was happy with that. Getting almost 10K off was a real shocker. So now you have a really tough decision to make. Wait it out and see what happens with the vehicles in stock or still coming and hope you can find one you like and hopefully it will still be around if they have another sale. It's rather odd, but there are a few dealerships that won't budge on the MSRP and there's even others that want to up the price a bit. Strange indeed....

In any event I hope you have good luck finding an SS you like and at a price you find acceptable. I will say the SS is one **** of a car for MRSP and it's a spectacular car with 20% off! I really like mine.

Rick H.
ATX SS and R1perry like this.
post #8 of 228 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 06:35 AM

Chevy.com looked for me for what I wanted within a 250 mile radius of my zip code, they were real helpful this way.
post #9 of 228 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 08:55 AM

The July 20% off sale and March 20% off sale has conditioned buyers to wait for another fire sale.

What will be interesting to see is if GM offers a significant incentive less than 20% before doing one last 20% off fire sale.

For example, a 10% off sale to see if that moves most of the MTs while seeing how many ATs it moves off dealer lots.
Danimal likes this.
post #10 of 228 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 09:17 AM

I think the entire industry is thinking through significant change in how new cars are shopped and sold and this is affecting the front line troops in the trenches. Nowadays, you and I walk into dealerships knowing more than they do and we often have unrealistic expectations as to why the only car we like, usually the rare model, isn't there on the floor in triplicate waiting for me to show up and drive it. I go out and look at cars often, usually my son is with me. Just last week, we stopped at Cadillac, Chevy, GMC, Toyota and Alfa Romeo. The GM dealerships were horrible in service, selection and knowledge. Toyota was barely better. Alpha Romeo was much better but not outstanding. Once again, the Cadillac dealer had nothing with a "v" on it in any model and the guy had no idea that a CTS V-sport had ever existed, he thought only an XTS V-sport, so I had to walk away. Chevy had no SS's which didn't surprise me but the lack of knowledge or even care for what I was asking for was pathetic. Chevy, two dealerships, had zero diesel versions of the Colorado's or Canyon's. The sales guy told me to find a dealership in a more rural area or farming area where the diesel might be more prevalent! Toyota had zero Tacoma TRD Pros or whatever my son was looking to see.

Apparently, guys like me only shop halo or limited run cars. Guess I'm better off ordering exactly what I want via Amazon (kidding) or Myronss or other online shopping. Walking into a Chevy dealer lately is liking stepping onto the set of The Walking Dead.

I bleed Chevy and GM and the G8 brought me back to them 8 years ago. I left for Mercedes but might come back this Spring or Summer for an SS. After the SS, there is nothing they have in 4 doors that I care for.

Note.. all dealers are not how I described. I have had wonderful experiences also, just not lately.
Coffee4matt and jodakid69 like this.

2012 MB CLS550 4Matic, stock
2009 Pontiac G8 GT, modded (Gone but NEVER forgotten)
1987 Buick Regal Grand National, a little crazy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page