Chevy SS Forum banner

Gass Guzzler Tax

5K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  radrace19 
#1 ·
How come 2014 Camaro SS does not have GG Tax and SS does they both have the same engine ?

#3 · (Edited)
The questions is why does the...
SS only get 14 city/21 hwy/17 avg while
Camaro (auto) gets 15 city/24 hwy/18 avg
Camaro (man) gets 16 city/24 hwy/19 avg
The Camaro auto, rated at 400 HP, uses Cylinder Deactivation.(L99 engine)
So maybe that's where the 15 HP came from on the SS.

#4 ·
I beleive the deal is that if the cars average of city/highway mpg does not equal at least 18 mpg, a tiered tax is applied. The lower the average, the more the tax. And next year that might get worse. I think some Cad V's get hit with over 3K in GG tax.

#6 ·
I totally agree that seems to be the way it works out. Although someone else on this forum had mentioned a somewhat different and more complicated method. Couldn't find that list that showed 2014 MPG and whether subject to Gas Guzzler Tax, which seem to coincide with the 18 MPG average. I did come across this one that shows higher averages that were subject to the tax in 2013. Of course bottom line is $1300 no matter how they got there.:whatdoyouthink:
http://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/guzzler/420b13037.pdf

Reactions: lrdvadr
#5 ·
I was pricing a new 2013 CTS V sedan today (great incentives right now!) and it has the same $1300 gas guzzler. IF I can get dealer to sell it at invoice and then add the 5k GM cash back plus 2k in GM credit card rewards (a 1k bonus on that right now) that take me ONLY about 7-8k more than the SS will be if I pay MSRP on it. Very tempting. The cash back ends Oct 31 though.

Funny, if I want ventilated seats on the CTS V I have to pay over 3k for the recarro racing seats! The SS is heavily loaded.
When you consider these things.

#8 · (Edited)
The cadillac site when you build your own has some incorrect numbers in the byo summary ... has for over a year. It lists the GG tax as $1300 but when you punch up a specific vehicle's sticker after searching the inventory it is the correct $2600 GG tax!

I know for a fact the $2600 is correct. I am real good friends with an old (55 years) 2nd generation Cadillac dealer and was so so close to ordering one of the very limited production 2014 v-sportwagons but then the SS.

Remember there is only a couple grand between invoice and MSRP on the Cadillac. Some of the sites that show you the "invoice price" DO NOT include the 3% holdback and/or the up to 2% advertising giving an unobtainable low number. No dealer is going to dip down into the holdback its what pays the electric bill!

#9 ·
Here is the answer you are looking for the auto Camaro has 4cyl and 8 cyl operation and is called a L99 or something close to that the SS has the LS3 same as the corvette no 4/8 operation. This is the why gas guzzler tax the vett has 430/436 hp with this engine. The vett weighs about 500 pounds less and will del 30 mpg on the open road with standard axle 256 I've seen as much as 33 in wife's vett.
z51vett
Doug

#13 ·
The Camaro SS manual has a 3.45 rear gear and a lower 6th gear
The Camaro SS auto has a 3.27 rear gear and same auto as Chevy SS along with the AFM and VVT.

All these factors add up to the SS getting the GGT and the Camaro does not.
It is really the AFM and VVT that make the difference since the Auto Camaro and the SS come with the same rear gears
-Greg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.