Chevy SS Forum banner

What car will you buy next when SS is gone?

15K views 107 replies 87 participants last post by  karungguni 
#1 ·
Being that we've know that the end of the SS has been coming for a few years now, imagine yourself a year from now, your SS is involved in a wreck and totaled out, what would you buy to replace your car?

After the purchase of my '16 SS, I almost immediately started thinking, about how this awesome car would not be available to me in just a little over a year.

At this point, the Cadillac CTS-V is definitely on my shortlist, though I really wish Cadillac would offer the CTS-V in a version without the supercharger. Blasphemy to some, but I think I many would be perfectly happy with 455-465 HP from a naturally apirated V8 for a daily driver with a more balanced weight and handling experience.

Dodge Charger SRT 392 - At one point I was seriously considering one, but I have too many reservations about the company at this time.

Ford has nothing other than a Mustang for a hard driving enthusiast, but is simply too small to live with for a family of four as my sole transportation.

Imports are the only options left... (yes I know the SS is technically an import)

See less See more
#2 ·
Would be tough, I'm a pretty hardcore GM guy so while the Mopars are closest I doubt I could make the leap.

Honestly would probably look for a used one first. I can't imagine it a situation where I couldn't find one. Then maybe a used V-sport. Then probably an ATS 3.6.

Thinking about a future purchase, I rack up only about 12k miles per year, I honestly see myself probably keeping this car for a decade since I highly doubt we'll ever get another reasonably priced V8 rwd sedan from GM (consider the last one died in 1996).

Reactions: jonkr15
#4 ·
Thinking about a future purchase, I rack up only about 12k miles per year, I honestly see myself probably keeping this car for a decade since I highly doubt we'll ever get another reasonably priced V8 rwd sedan from GM (consider the last one died in 1996).
For the last 10-years, I've been driving an average of 24-30k miles per year. My hobby and addiction is new cars, so I'm usually getting a new vehicle every 12-18 months. Maybe I'll be able to get a new leftover '17 about this time next year, though I'm really hoping GM comes to the rescue with something to fill the SS gap. I could care less if it gets sold as a Chevy, Buick, or Cadillac, as long as it has the same options and capability's as the SS.

#3 ·
Ford has nothing other than a Mustang for a hard driving enthusiast, but is simply too small to live with for a family of four as my sole transportation.
Fusion sport, AWD TTV6 325hp (and easy to bump with a tune) is looking good on paper for something fun if you can take a blue oval.

Reactions: pookhas
#16 · (Edited)
I was looking forward to seeing what Ford could drum up with that Fusion Sport but all feedback I've heard so far is it's pretty underwhelming. Probably has something to do with the expectations set, but still... Isn't particularly fast, isn't particularly efficient, doesn't handle well at all, and has the burden of being transverse mounted and FWD based (F/R distribution is Over 60/40) without any sort of decent vectoring.

Such a dud for a company with the Falcon in its pocket IMO.

If I wrecked the SS, I'd probably just keep driving the Volvo around and put the money in my pocket. Otherwise, [most likely] it'd be a 392 Challenger with the 6MT. Or I'd go back to an N54 E9X for fun stuff plus an '03-'04 Disco for other fun stuff.

#5 ·
McLaren 675LT... I'm going to win the lottery over the next year, I just know it!

#6 ·
Another SS. Or try and get a Wagon from the guy who imports and puts them together!

#108 ·
Who is importing the Holdens?

#7 ·
For me it would be a Scat-Pak Charger, or if money wasn't a factor a CTS-V. Not much else to look at.

#10 ·
I dunno...maybe a Hellcat

Reactions: KeyWil
#11 ·
For me I am thinking of getting another 5Gen 1LE Camaro 14/15 to go along with my SS . Even though I hate how close the roof is to the top of the car door . I like the look of the 5Gen Camaro better the 6 Gen. I like LS3 and the Zeta chassis and it would be fun to have a manual Trans car to take out for a week end drive again .

I am a old Fart so thoughts are the 2 cars I think I will be taking with me off into the sunset .

#13 ·
It will be a Chevrolet. That makes the choice easier. If I can't find another SS, it will likely be a Vette. I can't deal with the contortions you have to do to see out of the Camaro. That, and the tiny back seat. I'd rather have a Vette with no back seat than a Camaro with a useless one.

The area behind the seats in a Vette is actually quite large too. Plus, I'm betting on there being a mid engined Vette before I'm done with the SS. I'm sure you can open the hood, pop in a couple of lawn chairs, and carry two extra passengers that way. Visibility would probably still be better than the Camaro's :D

#31 ·
I've been reading about and watching videos of the Giulia Quadifoglio. It's an amazing car and will give the Germans a run for their money. I love the styling of the body and interior. I don't like the fact that Alfa dumped the manual and threw in the auto just before importing the car to the US. That would be a hard decision to make after having 5 manual fun-to-drive cars including the SS.

I'm really hoping to keep the SS for a long time since it is so rare. I will probably never own such a rare unicorn again. On the other hand, I don't tend to keep my cars very long. The longest so far was my Saab 9-5 Sportwagon. Such a practical and fun car.

#21 ·
Electric wheel chair...or one with a V8.
This is it for me, unless it gets totaled. Then the wife may force me to get a used Escalade.

#23 ·
That's easy, I already planned ahead the minute I bought my SS. Size, power, and so many mods available, it will be a Mercedes e63s amg. I will be taking CTS-V's lunch money.

TT-V8... need i say more??

Now, if money wasn't a problem, i would build a Classic camaro / chevelle and drop a Nelson racing TT-V8 in it and live happily ever after. The End

Reactions: Drew888
#24 ·
In the past I've traded in vehicles after about 2 years, 3 tops. But I kept my Pontiac G8 for 7 years (and 90,000 problem-free miles) before finally getting an SS, because there just wasn't anything similar out there (that didn't cost way too much).

Now it looks like the muscle car genre is dead, I don't believe that the Charger measures up, and nobody is very interested in building anything similar. If nobody comes up with a reasonably priced electric muscle car, I guess I'm stuck with the SS for a long while yet.

If I do get bored with the SS, I'd thought of maybe a 4 door Colorado, but the darn thing is longer than an SS by quite a bit, so it might not fit in the garage.

#29 ·
When truck is wore out gonna get whatever is comfortable think that be many years from now. When SS is wearing out fix it will keep it for years to come ...Hopefully next will be GM but will consider other brands but I like CTS-v no telling where 5 years from now cars will be I may even go the Telsa route.

Waiting on the technology to be widespread and free market to open up and bring prices down. These electric cars are torque monsters and are the performance cars of the future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.