Chevy SS Forum banner

Which Tuning company would you go with, not considering the $

Tune Time vs Hennessey vs Livernois vs callaway

28K views 124 replies 27 participants last post by  CrashTestDummy 
#1 · (Edited)
I am going to be buying a SS soon, and would like to have an upgrade done. Any feedback from these or any other tuning companies out there that does proven high quality work?

1) $15k budget

2) Close to stock exhaust (yes I know this is a restriction but this is my
list not yours). Don't want to sound like a dragster, this will be my
super sleeper

3) Better gas mileage, no matter how slight (i did not buy this car to
save gas, so don't flame me)

4) Super low end torque, or just snapper off the line rips.

5) Runs on 91-93 octane. I live in the mid-west and California (Car
would be shipped back and forth as I need)

What company would you spend your money with? Thank you all for your help and direction, peace to you all.

See less See more
#2 ·
Not Hennessey. I would say Livernois, but I am biased

#4 ·
Callaway is good stuff, safe tune, corsa exhaust. Good warranty also. Pricey though, as you also pay for floor mats, embroidered headrests, badging, etc. I loved my Callaway, and cannot speak for Tune Time or Hennessey, but others here have had great luck with Livernois. If I were to go the route you are intending to travel I would lean toward Livernois. They can customize a package for you while Callaway is a lump package with some other add ons available.
Good luck with your decision.

Reactions: Vicarious_Lee
#7 ·
Livernois, I am biased as I have seen their work and it works, works for a lot of people on a lot of different cars.

I've considered Tune Time and visited their dyno. They had at least 2 SS's done there, can't speak to their work as I didn't get any done but they were not as impressive as Livernois to me.

P.S. I have taken the 1200mi round trip to Livernois to verify their port-a-tuner claims (shipped by mail) and confirmed they are giving us everything they are promising, no surprises.

#9 · (Edited)
Smh...... This forum is the worst when it comes to tuning. After 10yrs and 5 LS cars I learned to see through the BS most shops claim. My tuner isn't what you call "main stream" but man he did more for me then any of those shops listed. My advise which might not be taken in a good way is do research on your local tuners and or remote tuners.

I went with a company out of Arkansas called GPI remote tuned and I'm running 10s on motor.

#20 ·
Do you have a video of your runs? what mods?

#10 · (Edited)
I voted "Other". What I essentially did was:

429ci LS3 Long Block from Texas Speed;
Stainless Works Headers/Hi-Flo cats/X-pipe, 102mm TB, Vararam Intake from Maryland Speed;
FAST Intake from private seller;
3600 stall Yank Converter;
Install and Tune @ local Speed Shop.

Should end up with about 580'ish HP and 550'ish TQ to the wheels.

Got my fingers crossed that I'll get the call to pick it up today.

BTW.....if you do go with a stroker swap, you can sell your low-mileage LS3 longblock for about $5K to $6K :)

KW

#16 ·
I'd go forced induction or leave it all stock. The risk of voiding your powertrain warranty over the relatively minor gains available via custom tuning doesn't seem worth it to me. Since that doesn't address your poll directly, I choose other. I'd work with a local tuner so I would have easier recourse to deal with any issues.

#18 ·
Gentlemen
This is exactly what I was shooting for ....

A discussion, perfect and nice to hear from everyone. Even if you feel you point is outside of the box. All input is relative and welcome, besides we are all friends here. Nice thread if I must say so myself.

For me this will be my first, I am a BMW man but I find myself needing a daily vehicle that is almost invisible, toned down if you will. This car fist the bill perfectly.

Thank you all and one, lets keep talking guys. When I make my purchase (45 days out) I will post an update.

#25 ·
Not much difference in tuning them Andy. Ecm is the same in them all basically. Your timing table and fuel trim tables are different and depending on gear/tire size you lock the converter at slightly different points.

Reactions: KWBaraka
#39 ·
The ECM is, but that doesn't mean the logic is. There are multiple generations of E38 controllers. This E38 is starting to blend some of the newer torque based logic with the older airflow based logic. If you could see everything that is in the ECM it would make sense, but I know there are some big holes in the software out there for this.

Can I ask you few questions Andy?
Do you tune?
Do you wrench on these cars?
Reason I ask because your last sentence makes me lose respect for Liversnois.
Indeed I do know how to calibrate, well beyond using a software program you can purchase that tells you what to change and what each table means.

While not a mechanic, I oversee the entire vehicle operations and every technician reports directly to me. I have been here for almost 10 years now, so I know the ins and outs of everything.

It's unfortunate that you would lose respect for someone or a company that is speaking the truth just because you believe someone who isn't being truthful. I guess next time I will just perpetuate a lie because it goes along with the status quo.

I am not certain how many times we have to prove it, the SS is not a Camaro, nor a G8. There is a great deal that is unique to the SS when it comes to calibration. But those of you who don't believe me are more than welcome to continue learning it the hard way. I honestly am just trying to be straightforward about things. I guess people just don't expect that from a company anymore, and that is unfortunate.

#27 ·
62nalide, are the numbers in your signature in a Camaro or an SS? I'm confused.

#32 ·
numbers on my sig is for a camaro, weight is pretty much the same at 3900-4000lbs as an SS sedan.

look at the poll, look at your response, stop there.
??? I'm lost? I see the poll and what does that mean?

Aren't you running a Camaro SS, Not an SS Sedan?
Yes that is correct.

#35 ·
Anyone have or want to ask me a question go ahead. I'm sure people will ask why I'm hating which I'm not. I respect a " Business " that is honest and not sugar coating things and from what I have been noticing with some of Andy's responses makes me LOL. This isn't my 1st rodeo and isn't hard to figure things out. I don't like to see people get milked for things they shouldn't be milked for. I'll just sit back and let my car do the talking once its out, but I'm sure someone on here will be doing that soon lol.

#37 ·
Not my point at all.

What Rear Gear Ratio is in that? 3.54?

Auto or Manual?

Heads and Cam? What else?

#50 ·
Andy, of course the tune is going to be different in each car... A6 SS sedan has the ls3 whereas the A6 Camaro has a L99. difference stock cams, different valves. M6 SS sedan to M6 Camaro however has the same drivetrain. Due to aerodynamics and load differences on top of the slight difference in weight the main differences in the tunes will be the timing curve and fuel trims. As far as the tuning software, most common is HP Tuners, then EFI live and a few others.

Tuning on a SS sedan vs a LS3 corvette is not like trying to compare a circle and a square, as you are making it out to be. Id say leave the tuning to the real tuners and leave the marketing to the salesmen.

Reactions: 62nalide
#51 ·
I voted Callaway, but that's only because I'm semi-local to them. (they're within my state's borders).

But honestly Livernois has a proven track record with the G8, and Lingenfelter has a proven track record with GM cars in general (should add that to your list). I would strike Hennessey off your list. :)

Reactions: LiquidR3D
#54 ·
I am going to be biased but when I purchase my SC it will be from Tune Time.

Tune Time buys a lot of their OEM parts from my company, but not just that, I have been to their shop and seen some of the work they have done, and I was impressed.

Reactions: TXSS
#62 · (Edited)
LMAO! Your Signature says it all....

"Just heads and cam stock motor!!!!"

GTFOH with that garbage.....

Reactions: 037
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.